mharoun
The best way to move Xoop sites?
  • 2004/3/18 20:45

• mharoun

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/6 1

Hi team!
I’m in charge of upgrading a web site that was designed with XOOPS v.2.0.1.
I installed XOOPS v 2.0.6 and made the necessary upgrade, (Theme, Modules, etc.) Now, the challenge is to move the old web site contents to the new one!!
To make it easier, the old web site is A, the new one is B:

-A and B has different modules/Blocks/Theme installed
-The DB name is the same for both sites
-As I mentioned earlier, they are running different version of Xoops
-Modules on site B is the one that I want to use (few mod have new version than site A)

In brief, I want to move all DB files (Users, configuration, articles, etc.) to site B.

Any help?

talunceford
Re: The best way to move Xoop sites?

Why didn't you just upgrade the 2.0.1 install with the upgrades provided here instead of doing a fresh install? Just curious why a complete new install.

mharoun
  • 2004/3/18 21:34

• mharoun

• Just popping in

Good question talunceford,
The reason is that we are going to host the site with a different company and under a different domain name
(Basically we are going to host it under the parent company. Ex. www.parent.ca/Mysite)
I did a full installation for v.2.06 on the new location, and now waiting to move all the stuff!

talunceford

well, i think the first thing you should do is download MySQL front, do a google search for it. you should be able to export all of your tables to another db or export each table individually, then import them into your new db. At least that is what I would do.

mharoun
  • 2004/3/18 21:59

• mharoun

• Just popping in

Thank you.
Are the DB files the ONLY thing I need to migrate? What about the running modules?

For example:
Site A has modx ver 1.0
Site B had modx ver 2.0
After migrating the DB files, would I be able to view the data properly? is the mod version variation will cuse any problems?

talunceford

Basically, the mod version should be the last thing you update, for the simple reason of there might be db changes in the newer mod vs the older mod version. When I upgraded from a 1.3.x site to the newer 2.0.6 version, it took me a while to get all of the existing mods up to speed. Most of them worked, but there were a few that don't work, yet that is. Basically what I suggest doing is import all of your tables into your new db. If you have updated versions of modules, you might look at the table structure of those modules to see if there are any changes. I ran into this when I updated a module. If there are changes to the db structure, then you need to make sure that the tables in your old db match the db structure of the newer more updated versions of the tables.

I know this sounds confusing, but it creates less headache and problems and potential data loss.

1.) Compare DB structures of the modules first. If they are the same you shouldn't have any problems. If they are different, you need to make sure that the older tables, the ones that you will be importing, match as far as the actual table structure is concerned.
2.) Export each table locally then import them into their respective tables in your new db.

CROSS YOUR FINGERS!! Migrating data is a pain, and personally I haven't found an easy way to get around it.

If you need any more help, don't hessitate to ask.

Hope this helps

sunsnapper

I know that you have already installed XOOPS 2.0.6 on the new web site, but, no data yet... correct?

If that's the case, my suggestion would be to apply the patches to your old XOOPS site... moving it from 2.0.1 to 2.0.6. That way the upgrade script can make any database changes it needs to along the way.

Then, once you have the old site upgraded, move it to the new host. To do that, you download all the XOOPS files and then upload them to the new host. You also use a MySQL front end (probably phpmyadmin... whatever your old host provides). You download the database. Then copy it up to the new host.

If you apply the patches to the old data, I think you will find the remaining steps of changing hosts relatively easy. I just did it myself a while back... and it was relatively painless.

mharoun
  • 2004/3/19 1:44

• mharoun

• Just popping in

talunceford & sunsnapper:
Many thanks for your help.
I think I'll take the safest way, which is to upgrade the old site first and then copy the EVERY THING to the new location.

Can any one direct me to the patch that I need to use in order to make the upgrade? from 2.0.1 > 2.0.6

sunsnapper

The patches are here... you will need to use a series of patches. From 2.01 -> 2.02 -> 2.03 -> 2.04 -> 2.05 -> 2.06

I know it sounds annoying, but, it's not that big a deal.

A developer may have other suggestions since they have a better handle on what types of changes ocurred from revision to revision, but, I would do one patch at a time... checking each time that it was accepted.

Download here: https://xoops.org/general/download.php

mharoun
  • 2004/3/19 3:03

• mharoun

• Just popping in

I did downloaded MySQL-Front v.3.0, but I'm having hard time configure it!!
I used the following settings:
User: xxx
Password: xxx
Server: ??? (what to use here???)

Thnx

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits