perhol
Selecting theme on command line
  • 2004/3/18 11:53

• perhol

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/11

This may be stupid question so I'm hoping for a simple stupid answer.

Is there a way to load a theme on the command line like;

http://xxx.yyy.zzz?theme=nameoftheme

This way a user can bookmark the site with his favourite theme.

Mithrandir
Re: Selecting theme on command line

Short answer: No

Long answer: Theme changes are initiated by a POST request, which is not possible from simple URL (or "command line") requests.

perhol
  • 2004/3/18 20:41

• perhol

• Just popping in

I don't know if this is good "xoops-practice" but I solved it by adding the following code to header.php after the line: include_once XOOPS_ROOT_PATH.'/class/xoopsblock.php';

Quote:

if (!empty($HTTP_GET_VARS['theme'])) {
$xoopsConfig['theme_set'] = $HTTP_GET_VARS['theme'];
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS['xoopsUserTheme'] = $HTTP_GET_VARS['theme'];
}

Mithrandir

it's your XOOPS Do what you want with it.

I was speaking from a non-hacking point of view. If you hack XOOPS, you can more or less do anything you want - but it will be harder to upgrade. So I only recommend hacking if it is vital to you and you know what you are doing.

Talking "good xoops-practice", it would be better to use $_GET and $_SESSION instead of their $HTTP_ counterparts - but since most of XOOPS still uses $HTTP_ it doesn't really matter yet.

perhol
  • 2004/3/18 20:57

• perhol

• Just popping in

I know what you're saying. I'm aware of the upgrade issues but this functionality is vital to my application. The background is that i want to be able to load a high contrast theme that people with bad vision can use as their default theme. I'm pretty sure this functionality could be useful also to others.

Thanks for your advice.

Mithrandir

Sure - but what's wrong with the theme selection block?

perhol
  • 2004/3/18 21:43

• perhol

• Just popping in

Nothing's wrong with the theme selection block. -As long as you can see it and know how to use it...

I want users to be able to set their browser start page to my xoops-site with the theme of their choice. The targeted group for this high-contrast-theme is elderly people that I hope will be frequent visitors to my site.

Tekfrog
  • 2004/3/19 5:03

• Tekfrog

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/8 2

Just as an aside, wouldn't it be cool if you could read the theme settings for WindowsXP and/or IE and customize the XOOPS page to match the users selection? That way if you have an elderly person using a large font/high contrast desktop the webpages they view would match? Too many websites out there, mine included, lock down everything so we can maintain a certain look and sacrifice usability for visually impaired people.

Just thinking outloud, don't mind me.

perhol
  • 2004/3/19 14:54

• perhol

• Just popping in

It would be cool! Another platform/browser independent approach could be if the browser flagged that it wanted the page presented in a certain way, maybe in the referer string.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits