fatman
Google API and XOOPS integrated
  • 2004/3/13 6:51

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

I hope this module is useful to some people. I call it Xoogle, it's a small module which integrates the google API with your XOOPS site.

You can see a demo here

You can download the module here

note: you have to get an access key from google to use their API, but this is easy to do and I've provided a link in the module admin. Any questions let me know.

I'm not sure my AND/OR options for advance search work as expected. I welcome comments if you find something not working.

wtravel
Re: Google API and XOOPS integrated

That is a very good piece of work!! I am sure a lot of people would like this.

I did some testing and I found that I cannot navigate further to the next page. What I can do is go to the last page, but when I click the link I see no results.

Do you know if it is possible to see only results for English sites or only Dutch sites when you add a parameter?

Regards,

Martijn

wtravel

I did some more quick testing...

The search results from Xoogle in your search block show up the first 10 results but it is not possible to navigate to results 11-20 and further. When I clck the "next>>" link I do see the "showing 11-20" text, but it again shows results 1-10.

When I want the results of all modules, the results show up above the main theme instead of inside.

Regards,

Martijn

fatman
  • 2004/3/13 8:08

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

are you searching from advance search or from /modules/xoogle ?

edit: ok, i what you mean. I'll fix that asap.

edit: ok fixed. I've updated the zip file. thanks for letting me know.

Fixing the pagination seems to have stopped the search results loading above of the template. Let me know if you find otherwise.

fatman
  • 2004/3/13 8:34

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Do you know if it is possible to see only results for English sites or only Dutch sites when you add a parameter?

I believe the api will let you filter by language. There is also the ability to use google's spelling suggestion functions via the api. I'm only just learning about the google API but all the features could be incorporated here pretty easily.

I've released this first cut at the module only using the 1 basic search service from google, but I do plan on adding the full set of google api functions into this module.

Chappy
  • 2004/3/13 12:40

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Great contribution. Thanks!

Zanmich
  • 2004/3/13 15:46

• Zanmich

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

I installed your google mod, looks great.

I have problem that you cant go forward through the list of websites. You get the first 10 or so then you can't get the rest. You get one option to go to last page. Can I fix this?

Looks great google coming up in xoops.

Great work, will wait for a fix or another version.

Zanmich

fatman
  • 2004/3/13 16:23

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

I have problem that you cant go forward through the list of websites. You get the first 10 or so then you can't get the rest. You get one option to go to last page. Can I fix this?

Hi thanks for letting me know. I've updated the .zip file with the fix for this. Just some minor pagination things. You can grab the new ZIP file but the only change has been to the file include/xoogle.php

Please let me know if you find any other bugs and I will try to address them asap. Thanks for all the feed back so far.

Zanmich
  • 2004/3/13 16:52

• Zanmich

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Installed the new file and XoOgle is working fine now. I can go to the different pages. Looks great! Thanks, keep up the good work!

Zanmich

wtravel

Good work again!

I found a few more minor things.

When I am from the main module page on your site searching for 'Travel Namibia', then the first page shows up fine. But when I go to the second page it does not find any results anymore.

When I search on only one word, for example 'Namibia' it is working fine. Probably it is a small thing but special characters are not showing correctly on the web page, like for example the ë and ï characters.

Regards,

Martijn

Login

Who's Online

139 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 139

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits