hugbard
gateway between a forum and an email list?
  • 2004/3/8 12:00

• hugbard

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/8 1

My question os if anybody knows if there is a module in XOOPS (or somewhere else) that allows there to be a gateway between a forum and an email list. When I say gateway what I am meaning is that users can post to the forum from a browser and also post from an email client to the forum.

Herko
Re: gateway between a forum and an email list?
  • 2004/3/8 12:30

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

As far as I know this is not yet done, but Onokazu was working on such a module. It's (or so he told me) a simple forum module (using XOOPS' comment system classes), and it interfaces with a mailinglist like script. When we have it from Onokazu, I'll have him release it here.

Herko

hugbard
  • 2004/3/8 12:44

• hugbard

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/8 1

thanks for your reply! it's interesting. do you think it's possible to help Onokazu developing that, contribute in any way? because we're really interested in such a module!
hugbard

dheltzel
  • 2004/3/8 14:19

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

I'm very interested in this also.
I'd even be willing to force the members to post to the forum directly instead of using email (eliminated spamming as well). The biggest change I'd like to see is a checkbox with the notifications setting to send the entire post instead of just a link. Currently, this is available to admins at the global level, it just needs to be available to everyone and at all levels that post notifications are sent.

Dennis

carnuke
  • 2004/3/8 15:27

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

There is a little bit more to this; Many commercial newsgroups a la Yahoo etc. have am e-mail digest that also sends regular forum posts in an email to a recipient in plain text format. Also replies can be made to the forum via email.

I can say that phpbb forum software has recently developed an email digest facility similar this, although I am not certain if it is an official mod yet. It also uses crontab to trigger the digest email on a regulr basis (which can be a problem to some users) Each post in the digest has a link that goes to the post on the forum of origin. This allows you to reply etc.

The e-mail digest facilty is something that seems to only occur in a few forum scripts ... Very strange as Yahoo consider it one of their best features!!

I would be very pleased if XOOPS developed a similar thing

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits