marcan
What OS would you recommend ?
  • 2004/3/4 22:05

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Hi !

I need to reformat one of my servers and since I'm doing it, I was wondering if I should try some other OS to host XOOPS. I'm presently hosting my XOOPS site on a Windows 2003 Enterprise, and I'm pretty sure there is some issues with PHP.

However, what OS do you recommend for XOOPS. I know it can run on a lot of things but what are your suggestions regarding :

- OS
- PHP version
- MySQL version
- hardware...

Thanks for any advise !

brash
Re: What OS would you recommend ?
  • 2004/3/4 22:26

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi marcan,

I also use Windows 2003 Enterprise, and for the most part it's been flawless. Although don't look now as I got to work this morning with an e-mail in my inbox saying AC power had been cut and my servers was now running off my 1500Va UPS. It stayed up for about half an hour after that and now it's gone, so I'd say there has been a fairly major power outage at home and there is nothing I can do about it until tonight .

Anyway, back to your question. What issues are you having with PHP and Windows 2003? The only problem that I've seem to have come across that exists on Microsoft IIS based servers is that if you are not logged in and are viewing the forums or something similar, when you log in you are given a "story does not exist" error, and are then taken back to the main page. I don't seem to have found a fix, or even a reason for this. It's not just me either, as I've seen it on other IIS based sites.

From memory I'm using PHP 4.3.3, MySQL 4.0.17, and an Athlon 1.2Ghz with 1GB of RAM. I run a heap of other services on my server, and there is no doubt it is overloaded. If I had the money I'd be using something more like an 3200 Athlon 64 with 1GB of memory. You can never have enough performance I say .

sudhaker
  • 2004/3/4 22:52

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/6 2

DUDE U NEED LINUX

Windows is only good for development

marcan
  • 2004/3/4 22:58

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for your answer brash !

One of my sites is a small intranet for my company. 20 users, maybe 10 concurrent users.

The site is hosted on a small box : P3, 800 Mhz, 528 Mb of RAM. PHP Version 4.3.3, Apache 2.

Everything is working fine. It is fast and reliable. However, I have an issue with the email sending. Sending mail takes forever. I've done some testing and found that even a small script with mail() takes a couple of long seconds... And only for sending 1 email !

Now on the intranet, let's say 10 users have a notification option (by email) on a forum post. When someone replies to it, it takes like 30 secondes for the post to be saved in the DB. If I confiure all the users with Private Message notification instead of email, the same post would take a fraction of second to be saved in the db.

I've tested all the mail configuration possible without any success.

Finally, I have another server with the exact same configuration (hardware and software) at another location hosting another site, and I get the exact same probleme.

Would you (or someone else out there) have some recommendations?

Thanks for any help !

marcan
  • 2004/3/4 23:01

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
DUDE U NEED LINUX

And I'm wiling to try... However, I'm not really 'Linux aware'.

Would you have any suggestion on which distribution to install. It seems to exists so many

Any suggestions?

Thanks !

jlm69
  • 2004/3/4 23:24

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

I think Mandrake 9.2 is your best bet. It is very good and probably the easiest Linux to setup and learn. If you try it and need any help you can e-mail me and I will help you out. It is pretty easy to set up a server, and everything you need is in Mandrake.

marcan
  • 2004/3/4 23:34

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Thanks jlm69, I really appreciated it !

I'll give it a try !

Thanks again !

marook
  • 2004/3/5 0:04

• marook

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/9 1

But! If it should be Very Easy, it would be a Mac OS X box!

PHP is included(although you can upgrade it), MySQL is pre-compiled, and comes as an installer - takes 5-15 min depending on your knowledge, and you're up running!

I know, I know... not all choses the easy path...

danc
  • 2004/3/5 4:26

• danc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/26

I would recommend mandrake 9.2 as well. It is very easy to install and run on most hardware in fact it is much easier than a windows install for me. If you want to run linux I recommend not trying Red Hat. I would also be willing to spend a little time with you if you have linux problems. I doubt you would need much help if you use a good distro.

El_Jordo
  • 2004/3/5 5:28

• El_Jordo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/23

Quote:

marook wrote:
But! If it should be Very Easy, it would be a Mac OS X box!

I agree. If I had a choice, that's what my server would be. But Redhat has worked fine for me. Just fine.

But I still use a Mac for everything else.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits