sunnyb14
EXOOPS, XOOPS, or PHP-Nuke
  • 2004/2/23 20:36

• sunnyb14

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/23

Hi ppl,

Can someone plz help me decide to chose one of these: xoops, exoops, php-nuke. Which one is better?

Plz reply.

Siege1386
Re: EXOOPS, XOOPS, or PHP-Nuke
  • 2004/2/23 20:48

• Siege1386

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/19

You are on the XOOPS website. So people here are going to tell you XOOPS and I would agree. Use the Search function, this topic has been brought up many times.

sunnyb14
  • 2004/2/23 21:03

• sunnyb14

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/23

please tell me.....plz

tomasv
  • 2004/2/23 21:23

• tomasv

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/18

PHP-Nuke is not very well coded or designed. But has more themes, and modules. Don't know much about e-xoops. XOOPS is very well designed and coded but lacks the third party breadth that php-nuke has.

Herko
  • 2004/2/23 21:43

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

What is e-Xoops?
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=12659&forum=7

and:

"Difference in Xoop and E-Xoop"
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=13633&forum=3

Herko

Anonymous
  • 2004/2/23 22:34

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

sunnyb14 wrote:
Hi ppl,

Can someone plz help me decide to chose one of these: xoops, exoops, php-nuke. Which one is better?

Plz reply.

I've tested 4 different CMS systems. My team and I have reviewed the code, installed configured various modules for the following systems:

1) postnuke
2) php-nuke
3) Virtua News
4) Xoops

Our review of postnuke/php-nuke:
postnuke and phpnuke were the early ventures into open source CMS systems. They pretty much suck. The code is poorly written, installation, configuration, support, are very poor as well. Try posting on the postnuke/php-nuke forums and see if you get anyone to help you on newb questions. If you were to choose among the nukes, stay away from phpnuke. It's poorly designed, not modular and one of the poorly coded open source projects i've come by.

Postnuke does a better job on being modular. Although there are alot of modules, every single module is poorly integrated. Compare the private message system on XOOPS and any private message system hack on postnuke and you'll see the difference. Notice how the forums, news comments, user ranks and private messaging system are tighty integrated. Users don't feel as if they're taken from one function to another. It feels seemless.

Review on Virtua News:
It's a proprietary CMS system. It has good support, for which you pay for, good theme/template framework so it's really easy to theme. The cheif problem with virtua news is lack of any modules in addition to loose integration of modules any modules that do exist.

We've done 6 months of testing. We've looked into various prorprietary/open source CMS systems from Java based solutions such as Jboss' J2EE CMS nuke engine to Perl solutions. XOOPS is hands down the best.

The only way for you to decide is to install and test. If you don't know how to install each system, go to scriptlance.com and have someone install it for you. You can have someone install it for you from $5~20 for installs.

There are advantages of each CMS system such as database design and module framework, but if you are looking for a CMS that does forums, news, private messaging, polls and extended pages, XOOPS is for you.

Hope this helps.

bogart
  • 2004/2/23 23:13

• bogart

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/21

I was going to use php-nuke for our Intranet. I spent about 2 months (not full-time of course) getting to know nuke, building the site, and frequenting nuke sites.

There were several times when I had to rebuild from scratch after some module or two that I added started causing problems.

Now, I've decided to use XOOPS instead. In just 2 weeks, I'm ready to deploy. It's very easy to install, modules are real easy to install (which I like compared to nuke's manual module installs), and when you run into a problem, there's the debug mode. I ran into a couple of conflict problems between XOOPS modules but I was able to resolve them using the debug and a search for related posts in these forums.

Mithrandir

At the University, I'm learning about software development cycles, licensing and splitting software products into core and modules.

We use PostNuke as example software and are currently in the planning phase of implementing a new core feature, which aims at automatically converting HTML output into accessibility valid code as laid down in w3c standards.

My main problem as project manager on this project is that the PostNuke core is very unreliable. We basically have two choices: Use PostNuke .726 which is rather old and very badly written or use the latest CVS version of PostNuke, which is very buggy and several areas are totally rewritten. It is really a bitch trying to understand a core, which we either know won't look like this in a few months or which is unstable and hard to figure out, as it is harder to make a small change and see the change immediately.

On the funnay side (not meant as a dig at PostNuke, but it IS rather ironical) they claim in a center-center block, which is automatically installed, that PostNuke is "far more stable and reliable than any competitor".... and then I can see half a page of PHP errors below it - and this is on the standard complete installation! installed without problems or warnings.

Only positive side of PostNuke is the ADODB classes, which makes PostNuke able to connet to virtually any database out there. We really should work on at least PostgreSQL support for XOOPS.

Login

Who's Online

255 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 255

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits