Ace_Armstrong
Bulleted Lists

Okay, this has been driving me nuts for the year+ that I have been using Xoops, and I'm finally annoyed enough to ask it: what's with the bulleted lists?

Every single theme I've seen has the bulleted lists screwed up. Either the bullets appear way to the left of all of the other text (i.e., beyond the left margin) or the text doesn't wrap to match post-bullet indent like it should.

Obviously, this has something to do with the CSS settings, but nothing seems to make sense. Has anyone got a solution on this? (Or at least an explanation?)

sunsnapper
Re: Bulleted Lists

In my theme, I added this to the three .css files:
li.black margin-left2pxmargin-bottom.8em; list-stylesquare; list-positionoutsidecolor#000000;}

then my tags look like this:
<ul class="black">
<li class="black"> text here </li>
</ul>

And that seems to work. I hope that helps.

Ace_Armstrong

It came close to working. That was similar to what I had. I discovered, though, that I had to put a 24px left padding on the list to make it work. No idea why, but that seemed to do it.

Thanks!

hsalazar
  • 2004/2/16 15:35

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Ace:

The different renditions of a bulleted list are not really caused by the CSS but rather by the inconsistent browser support to specifications. Says Mark Newhouse:
Quote:

But simply changing the margin or the padding of the UL doesn’t work for all browsers. To make the list flush left, e.g., you need to change both the margin and the padding. This is because Internet Explorer and Opera opted to create the indent with the left margin, while Mozilla/Netscape use padding.

These sentences are taken from this article destined to become a classic:

CSS Design: Taming Lists

The other good reference about this problem (quoted in the article above) is another article by no less than Eric A. Meyer:

Consistent List Indentation

I hope these references clear the problem from your head.

Cheers.

Ace_Armstrong

Excellent! Very helpful. Thanks!

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits