bogart
News center block ahead of Recent Topics block
  • 2004/2/10 1:42

• bogart

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/21

Hi. I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I tried searching the site using keywords like "on top" or "ahead", but with no results.

Is there a way to have the News (which is the start page module) appear ahead of the Recent Topics block? I'm referring to the start page, by the way.

Thanks!

hsalazar
Re: News center block ahead of Recent Topics block
  • 2004/2/10 2:28

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

bogart:

I assume you mean placing the content (in this case, News) before the blocks.

To do this, you need to edit your theme.html file. But since theroetically you can't edit, by definition, the default theme (as a security provision), you should first clone the theme, define your clone as the working theme, and then edit the file.

What you need to do there is to look for the HTML code that displays the main content and place it above the code that displays the blocks. You just need to be careful because of the placement of the IF statements.

This of course poses an interesting idea that I've already used in the only theme I've done so far (MP00): theme authors should be urged to include several theme options for their users: one with the content on top, another with the blocks on top. I even added options for full-width theme, fixed-width theme, centered-fixed-width and left-aligned-fixed-width. It's actually quite easy, once you grasp how it's done.

If you feel you're in exploration mode, look for the theme MP00, download it and see how it's done.

Cheers.

hal9000
  • 2004/2/10 15:58

• hal9000

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/6 9

funnily i've done this but forgotten how I did it and now want to reverse the effect!
But your explanation although pointing me in the right direction, is not all that clear.
I did find this post [here] but that wasn't much help as I spent ages looking in the themes/lalala/theme.html file for this text and it wasn't there.

I have stuck a calender at the top of the centre block and now wish to remove it.
Any ideas to exactly where I would have to look would be good
Cheers Hal

hal9000
  • 2004/2/10 16:12

• hal9000

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/6 9

answering my own posts again... Well I simply removed the post from the top page section of the blocks part in preferences.
Now it only appears on its own calender linked page from the menu so that'll do for me :)

bogart
  • 2004/2/10 20:16

• bogart

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/21

Thanks, hsalazar. I think I know how to do it now from your instructions. In any case, I'll take a look at your MP00 theme if I get into problems.

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits