Eldezar
Help, adding links to main menu
  • 2004/2/8 15:03

• Eldezar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/8 1

Hi all, I am new to XOOPS and I have to say this is a great system.
I am trying to figure out how to add items to the main menu and get them to appear in the center block.

I already loaded the tiny content and freecontent modules and they work great but I need to add more links on the main menu to static pages.

I tried editing the /templates_c/*system_block_mainmenu.html and the link was added but, how do I get the page content to appear in the center block? Also, if I use this technique to add a link to the main menu how do I get a submenu under the newly added menu item?

I noticed the XOOPS home page has several different menus on the left side (Community, User Menu, General Information) is that easy to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dawilby
Re: Help, adding links to main menu
  • 2004/2/8 15:42

• dawilby

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/3 0

Eldezar:

Editing the files in the /templates_c/ folder is not recommended because this is the cache folder for all the pages and the files get overwritten by time to time.

But you where very close in solving your problem: look at answers in the following forum topic: HTML Links - How to?

Eldezar
  • 2004/2/8 17:26

• Eldezar

• Just popping in

Thanks for the quick reply. That thread really helped. I modified the template files and it worked. And I downloaded the MultiMenu module and that works great too. But I want the linked content to appear in the center block of my site not in a new window. Is that possible? Similar to what tinycontent does.
I already have tiny content installed and it appears on the main menu as "Design Review" and under that are sublinks to more content. Now I need another link on the Main muenu called "Special Projects" with sub links to content under that.

I hope I am explaining this correctly.

JackJ
  • 2004/2/8 17:45

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

How did you create the content for Design Review? Using tiny content? If so you just look at the path to the destination page you want in your browsers address field and use that as your link.

Having a sub-menu appear in the main-menu is related to the code of xoops_version.php in the root of the destination content module you are using--but I would need to know how you have set up your Design Review content.

Eldezar
  • 2004/2/8 18:09

• Eldezar

• Just popping in

I created the content in dreamweaver and then used the page wrap feature in tinyContent. That all works great.

The problem is I need another section (Link) on the main menu and tinyContent only lets you add one.

From the thread, refered to above, I was able to add more links to the main menu but the links are to external content. I need to put that content in a block on my site.

So I guess my question is how can I get a normal Html page to be displayed in a block.

Does that make sense?

Quote:

JackJ wrote:
How did you create the content for Design Review? Using tiny content? If so you just look at the path to the destination page you want in your browsers address field and use that as your link.

Having a sub-menu appear in the main-menu is related to the code of xoops_version.php in the root of the destination content module you are using--but I would need to know how you have set up your Design Review content.

JackJ
  • 2004/2/8 20:55

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Quote:
If so you just look at the path to the destination page you want in your browsers address field and use that as your link.

If you have already created a "pagewrap" page and link in tinycontent, go to that actual page inside XOOPS and look at the address path in your I.E or Netscape browser at the very top of the browser, the part which shows the web address to the page. Copy that address and use that for your HTML link in main menu i.e. This already "wrapped" page should not be "external"

"https://xoops.org/modules/tinycontent/stuff&morestuff&id=3"

For sub-menus you may have to create a custom block or use one of the menu modules around. It is not a simple process to do it yourself I am afraid. Try a search using sub-menu or sub menu as keywords.

I have an HTML method I used in the past, but it may not be too easy to follow the logic--this just uses multiple blocks in the same position with extra sub-menu HTML in the destination pages see Here

In XOOPS you can create your own pages with html inside, see the wiki
How to show HTML pages inside Xoops

Eldezar
  • 2004/2/9 0:11

• Eldezar

• Just popping in

Thanks the includes in the HTML file is what I needed. I thought I had seen that article before but couldn't remember where.

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits