pmhoran
Edit theme.html with FrontPage???
  • 2004/1/23 21:52

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

I have a "testing" site up and running. I have found a theme I like ... but I would like to change things from tables being specifically assigned size to a percentage.

I find doing html modifications easier with FrontPage ... but from reading some of the posts there seems to be a lot of "anything but FrontPage" attitude.

So ... if I use Frontpage ... am I likely to really mess up Xoops? Or is the "abject horror" I sensed due to it just being from MS?

Thanks for your thoughts
Peter

Herko
Re: Edit theme.html with FrontPage???
  • 2004/1/23 21:58

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

FrontPage adds a LOT of code that isn't necessary, hence the dejection of the application. The fact that it is a M$ product doesn't help, I'll admit.

But, best thing to do if I were you, is to give it a try. Make a copy of the original theme.html file, and edit the copy in FrontPage. If ther results are to your taste, why worry about what we think of the application?

Herko

pmhoran
  • 2004/1/23 22:11

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

I appreciate the candid response Herko ...

To be honest ... I tried editing the theme in a text editor and found I was really good at screwing things up when I can't see exactly whats happening when I make a change. I know will have to edit out a lot of "excess baggage" that FrontPage arbitrarily throws in ... but I am used to that ahahaha.

Take care
Peter

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/23 22:12

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

I'm pretty much like you. I started with FrontPage to avoid the hassle of setting tables, colors, previews etc etc. It is so darn easy. But if you look at the HTML code its all full of FP rubbish codes. Why do they want to bloat my HTML file?

But over time I started to work directly in Notepad and you begin to code the page more efficiently and quickly.

So while you continue to work in FP, try other editors like HAPedit or MaxHTML which do not bloat your file. Eventually you'll reach the point where you won't need FP anymore and that is an awesome feeling.

Mithrandir

The best thing with FrontPage is the dual view - WYSIWYG or text view. Switch back and forth as you like.

I haven't found that in any other (free ... I am but a student) editor and besides I do so little HTML that Zend can make do.

pmhoran
  • 2004/1/23 23:26

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

Yeah ... I like the different views ... Normal, Html, Preview. Like I said ... its nice when you can see the result of something you do when you do it.

So far ... I have found designing in FrontPage and then taking a copy and editing it with Notepad is easiest for me. Easier to remember what doesn't need to be there than remember what has to be there ... if you know what I mean

Thanks for the input ... its appreciated
Peter

charpres
  • 2004/1/23 23:36

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

If you're not using FP 2003, they did improve the code bloat somewhat.

I use FrontPage and Dreamweaver for html editing. Either works fine. I just pick and choose the code I want to pull into XOOPS templates. I don't ever just cut and paste whatever FP generates.

pmhoran
  • 2004/1/24 0:31

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

Hmmm ... I am using FrontPage 2002. Is 2003 better ... as in "less bloat" ... than 2002?

Previous to the 2002 version I had the 97 and then 2000 versions. It seemed 2002 was a big improvement in bloat over 2000 ... so I hadn't planned on upgrading this time around. But if 2003 is dramatically better ... maybe I should

Peter

MadFish
  • 2004/1/24 5:15

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
So ... if I use Frontpage ... am I likely to really mess up Xoops?

Frontpage is not likely to mess up XOOPS per se. I like Dreamweaver better - but mainly because (I think !) it has a nicer user interface and better tools for site management and layout among other things. However, the guy I work with won't touch Dreamweaver - he is satisfied with Frontpage and doesn't want to learn anything else. Some of the (better) commercial web designers we have contact with refuse to use either - they write their code by hand in a text editor.

I think its just a case of what you're used to and comfortable with. But I still like Dreamweaver better

carnuke
  • 2004/1/24 13:49

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Hi Peter,

I used FP for some time until I learned abit about html code. From experience I would agree with all the comments passed in this thread. However, there are things you can do to remove the offensive code that FP puts in. Get a copy of html tidy. If you search on google you'll find a free edition. It strips out loads of crap from FP (repeated tags, this is a big one ... webot markups... trailing spaces, the list goes on.) You have options to save and review changes and keep a FP backup! When you compare the 2 versions you will begin to see waht FP does to the html code! After a while of examining this, you will also be able to manually optimise the code. NOW you're learning...

Another very useful tool is Topstyle CSS editor. It gives you some WYSIWYG functions. Very useful

Richard

Login

Who's Online

123 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 123

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits