swright
Preferred Method for Module Development
  • 2004/1/23 15:10

• swright

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/14

Hey all,

Does anyone out there have a preferred method for developing modules? I mean aside from the guidelines set out by the Wiki... it's a good start, but a bit incomplete.

Mithrandir
Re: Preferred Method for Module Development

I used to have a made module - e.g. News - and then just looked in that whenever I was insecure about how subfolders and files should be to work properly.

Wiki is incomplete? What's missing? The details of how to use xoops_version.php is rather explicitly (however not in full) described in xoops_version.php in the News module.

swright
  • 2004/1/23 15:51

• swright

• Just popping in

The Wiki is great, don't get me wrong, but like it says, it is a 'Kickstart Guide'. Ok, setting up the xoops_version.php, modinfo.php, directories, sub directories, etc, is not a problem, but where do I go from there?

I've looked at different modules and each module seems to take a different approach.

I guess ultimately what we need are tutorials, fisrt hand development accounts. I've got some great code to incorporate but just don't know how to do it...

domineaux
  • 2004/1/23 17:04

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I've been programming 4GL Clarion for over 10 years, and web development was something I never had to do. When my clients started clamouring for database applications for the web they really pulled my chain.

I bought a Visual Studio.net Enterprise architect edition software to soften the blow...LOL

I found XOOPS and never fired that $1700 US package up.

Regardless, when I found XOOPS I really cut a bunch of corners. I still can't effectively code it well enough to build modules, because I just don't have time to "FERRET OUT WHAT I NEED TO CODE IT". So, I look for modules and tweak them minimally for the time being. I'm building some pretty nice sites as well.

I think it should be said with some vehemence...

A year ago, XOOPS was not even close to the product it is today. The number of developers and posters on these boards is significantly improved. So...the XOOPS team really needs to think about creating some competent documents to really get XOOPS off the "hobby shelf" and "tricked out websites category".

A fabulous improvement would be a tool that would provide an editor. The tool would also allow a testing of the module as it would be applied in typical "default" XOOPS installed on a server. A sort of simulator tool.

I take my hat off the developers of the XOOPS modules. Let's face it, the XOOPS community needs to be able to build progressively. If every new version or improvement requires coding changes in existing modules it will be hard over time to maintain interest in the Xoops, without some reliable software tools to enable changes easily.

There is an E-Xoops module developer document over on the

MODSCENTRAL SITE

E-Xoops is a spin off Xoops, but I'm not sure how helpful the document would be.

------------------

domineaux
  • 2004/1/23 17:05

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Sorry about the double post...I only clicked on the submit button once. Maybe my mouse clicks twice...LOL

----------------------

Jan304
  • 2004/1/23 17:26

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Well, maybe this module can help you...

http://xoops.opencms.nl/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=8&lid=19

Sample module, always handy. Goodluck with it.

carnuke
  • 2004/1/23 18:38

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Domineaux
Quote:
So...the XOOPS team really needs to think about creating some competent documents to really get XOOPS off the "hobby shelf" and "tricked out websites category".

Your absolutely right ... and it's in progress right now. Like most things, if it's going to be good, it's going to take time.

Your right about the XOOPS product also. 2 years in the fast track lane and it's beginning to threaten some of those oh, so expensive alternatives. Take a look back in 12 months ... we will all be amazed!

Richard

swright
  • 2004/1/23 20:35

• swright

• Just popping in

Jan,

Thanks for the link, that was just what I needed to go one step further!!!

carnuke, any idea on what sort of timeline we're talking about for the documentation?

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits