Shelia
A couple of questions
  • 2004/1/18 20:38

• Shelia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/22

1. I want to join a webring - problem is the ring's code is on my homepage (news module) but can't be found by the ringmaster validation system. I've placed the code in a custom block but still no go. Any suggestions?

2. I have several photos included on the site that I promised the photographers that I would make an effort to stop the photos from being downloaded from the site. While "no right click" is merely stop gap - it is my only remedy of a good faith attempt to stop the downloads. Is there a way to add the "no right click" code to xoops?

JackJ
Re: A couple of questions
  • 2004/1/18 21:19

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

1. I would try putting it in your footer which is available in all pages. I will also try and join one myself and see what happens out of interest

2 You can paste javascript code into the theme.html normally between the <head> tags.

You may be aware of the following issues already, but there is no way to keep your pictures protected once they're online. The bottom line and say that the Google-bot, once it visits your site, records all images on the page, so that anyone can access it on the Google image search.

Also, the Javascript right-click block is known to be very inefficient. When visitors see that you have something to protect, they'll be more persistant on trying to get the image.

I think the best way to protect them is a watermark. It won't stop people from downloading it, but it will stop them from using it as their own.

Later versions of Internet explorer also have a toolbar which appears as soon as you move your mouse over the pic, the menu appears for "save pic" etc, very irritating..this ignores and overrides any no-right click code.

You can also just do a print screen and cut it out with abobe photoshop

But I have some code I got somewhere to type into your theme.html file if you think it would help. This one has a popup message, which some people may again find a nuisance..various free javascript codes are available if you do a google search..

Shelia
Re: A couple of questions
  • 2004/1/19 4:09

• Shelia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/22

Thanks! I'll try your suggestion regarding the webring and would appreciate you posting that code.

Shelia

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits