Shelia
A couple of questions
  • 2004/1/18 20:38

• Shelia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/22

1. I want to join a webring - problem is the ring's code is on my homepage (news module) but can't be found by the ringmaster validation system. I've placed the code in a custom block but still no go. Any suggestions?

2. I have several photos included on the site that I promised the photographers that I would make an effort to stop the photos from being downloaded from the site. While "no right click" is merely stop gap - it is my only remedy of a good faith attempt to stop the downloads. Is there a way to add the "no right click" code to xoops?

JackJ
Re: A couple of questions
  • 2004/1/18 21:19

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

1. I would try putting it in your footer which is available in all pages. I will also try and join one myself and see what happens out of interest

2 You can paste javascript code into the theme.html normally between the tags.

You may be aware of the following issues already, but there is no way to keep your pictures protected once they're online. The bottom line and say that the Google-bot, once it visits your site, records all images on the page, so that anyone can access it on the Google image search.

Also, the Javascript right-click block is known to be very inefficient. When visitors see that you have something to protect, they'll be more persistant on trying to get the image.

I think the best way to protect them is a watermark. It won't stop people from downloading it, but it will stop them from using it as their own.

Later versions of Internet explorer also have a toolbar which appears as soon as you move your mouse over the pic, the menu appears for "save pic" etc, very irritating..this ignores and overrides any no-right click code.

You can also just do a print screen and cut it out with abobe photoshop

But I have some code I got somewhere to type into your theme.html file if you think it would help. This one has a popup message, which some people may again find a nuisance..various free javascript codes are available if you do a google search..

Shelia
Re: A couple of questions
  • 2004/1/19 4:09

• Shelia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/22

Thanks! I'll try your suggestion regarding the webring and would appreciate you posting that code.

Shelia

Login

Who's Online

981 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 981

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits