hervet
Can we use freely xoopy mascotte ?
  • 2004/1/11 11:51

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,
Can i use the xoopy mascotte for a part of my website (not yet finished) talking about XOOPS ?

thanks in advance.

Bye,
Hervé

Mithrandir
Re: Can we use freely xoopy mascotte ?

Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote in news comment:

Xoopy is the XOOPS Official Mascotte, and I think we will limit it's use for the xoops.org sites and communications. Not because we don't trust you guys, but because there are so many ways to misuse xoopy (and a lot of people who think that it's funny).

This doesn't mean you guys (as a general term, not a gender-based thing CBlue ) can't play with xoopy. I'll see if we can contact the artist for some good source materials, and run a contest for some xoopy art If anyone wants to donate a prize, that would be great as well

So the short answer is: No - it is very much frowned upon, although there is no formal copyright on it.

hervet
  • 2004/1/11 14:36

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
So the short answer is: No - it is very much frowned upon, although there is no formal copyright on it.

Ok, I will use something made by myself.

Thanks for the answer.

Bye,
Hervé

hervet
  • 2004/1/11 14:41

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

Is there any other "official" logo that we can use freely ?

Bye,
Hervé

clagrone
  • 2004/1/11 15:02

• clagrone

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/26

http://radiodevil.com/webradio/modules/wfchannel/images/linkimages/logo.gif

use the above link, it goes to a XOOPS logo provided by the wfchannel module. right click and "save picture as" then upload it to your server. I am sure your XOOPS has this logo in it somewhere anyway.

and i quess it can be used, seeing that this logo is included in most XOOPS downloads. but hey i am not to smart

my guess is the mascotte is off limits because it does not "belong" to xoops, but it belongs to the artist that designed it. the logo i linked to should be owned by xoops.

Mithrandir

The mascot is mainly off limits because it should only be connected with XOOPS official things and thus not for a site, which "just" uses XOOPS in one way or another.

The general "Powered by XOOPS" image is ok to use, I think.

fooups
  • 2004/1/12 18:49

• fooups

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/12

Hi,
Mithrandir said Quote:
the mascot should only be connected with XOOPS official things

Can the official XOOPS Team make us a new banner for xoops.org with Xoopy on it? I mean, when you download a version of xoops, you have some pre-installed banners of xoops.org in it. Why not a banner with xoopy, instead?

Thus, everyone could have his "own" xoopy on his site (if banners are activated, naturelly) without encroaching on the "exclusivity" of official support sites to use our favorite mascot.

Bye

Panos
  • 2004/1/12 19:00

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

If it is not released under ANY license whatsoever, then it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. That means that anyone can take it, modify it and use it without asking for permission of any kind and/or contacting the author, or in this case creator.

Why not release the mascot under the GNU General Public License? Why not release it under an Open Source, Artistic or Creative Commons one?

It is really pointless to warn people from getting it, simply beacuse it has not been copyrighted in any way or form. So, until the author actually decides to release it under a license, it IS Public Domain and you can steal it if you like as well.

Certainly, that needs to be fixed in one way or another, but why use it anyway?

Dave_L
  • 2004/1/12 19:12

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
If it is not released under ANY license whatsoever, then it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. That means that anyone can take it, modify it and use it without asking for permission of any kind and/or contacting the author, or in this case creator.

That is definitely not true. An item is implicitly copyrighted by its creator, whether or not he states so.

Panos
  • 2004/1/12 19:34

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
Quote:

That is definitely not true. An item is implicitly copyrighted by its creator, whether or not he states so.

My friend, there is no such thing in the real world and that wouldn't stand in any court, in any country. There is no such thing as 'implicitly copyrighting' something. When releasing something one must choose a license under which to release it, whether that is the GPL and so on. What does implicitly mean?

In the World Wide Web and on the Internet, not releasing your work under a specific license makes it immediately public domain.

But, I think that the author should be contacted to release it under a certain license.

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits