awreneau
Move entire website including MySQL database
  • 2004/1/6 17:22

• awreneau

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/2/4 1

Is there a tool that will move the ENTIRE site including the DB to another server for me that you can suggest.

I want to take a "picture" of the site and move everything so I will loose as little as possible.

Thanks

Herko
Re: Move entire website including MySQL database
  • 2004/1/6 17:56

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

There's no 'tool' for that (although there is a backup module), but it's faily easy.

Backing up your database
Use a tool like phpmyadmin to create an SQL dump file, including all data, from your database. Save this file locally.

Backing up your website
With your favorite FTP application, copy ALL files to your local computer, keeping directory structure intact.

Setting up the new database
On your new site location, use phpmyadmin to import the database dump file into the new database.

Setting up your new site
COpy ALL the files from your old site to the new site. Make sure you chmod the cache/, templates_c/ and uploads/ folders to 777, and all the files within to 666, and edit your mainfile.php to fit the new database server/database username/database name/database password, and the new physical path and XOOPS URL. Save the mainfile.php, and upload to the new server location. Chmod it to 444.

Herko

script_fu

There is a feature in cpanel that will let your new host move all your websites at once. Some hosts charge to move the sites. The most I ever heard of was a dollar a site. Try
dathorn.com or voxtreme.com very good reseller hosting.

awreneau
  • 2004/1/7 15:35

• awreneau

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/2/4 1

Thanks very much, I'll try the manual way. Crosing fingers......

Panos
  • 2004/1/7 16:09

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

awreneau,

There is nothing difficult to such a procedure. I have done it twice and haven't experienced a problem.

First of all, go to phpmyadmin and click on the 'Export' tab. From there, choose every possible option to save your db on a .sql file. It's really easy.

Secondly, move your entire directory structure to the new server and chmod the respective files and directories.

Thirdly, upload the .sql file through phpmyadmin to the new server. This will populate the new database, assuming that you have created one already ;)

Fourthly, change the respective options in mainfile.php and chmod it back to 444, so that it won't be writable by the server.

Voila! You are all set ;) Most of luck to you. Not that you're gonna need it, but in any case...

arunk
  • 2004/4/22 23:46

• arunk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/9

Can I use the backup feature in cPanel and download the XOOPS files from the old server (keeping directory structure intact), and move them to the new server (keeping directory structure intact)?

Is there anything else I have to do? I really don't want to start all over again.. with a fresh installation.

arunk
  • 2004/4/25 0:21

• arunk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/9

I just had a quqick questin about this..

Where you wrote "and all the files within to 666"

are you talking about all files inside the uploads folder?

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits