YourHelp
HAPPY NEW YEAR
  • 2003/12/31 9:32

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Resized Image

2003 is coming to an end. 3hours and 15 mins from now Australia will reach a new year. I and the team from ultima7 wish you all the very best and look foward to advancing through the year toogether. God Bless you all!

Stewdio
Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR
  • 2003/12/31 9:36

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

HOLA!!Would ya' look at all the Green in that monster!

Happy Non-Denominational Winter Season to one and all!

If that ain't politicaly correct enough for ya'll, then go to hell you Nazi! Mehehe

NitroFoO
  • 2003/12/31 13:13

• NitroFoO

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/1/26

Happy new year all - I still have about 16 hours until the new year in east coast USA.

DonXoop

Ah, another lap around the sun like the billions before. I have no fear that the planet(s) won't keep doing the same for a long long time. The cool thing is that us humans are here for another ride. That isn't so certain....

I do wonder how we picked 00:00 01, January as the start/finish line. Isn't that totally arbitrary? The equinoxes are celestial events but New Year's? Is there a celestial event that marks the spot or did we just pick one?

Earthlings, such a funny bunch...

Happy New Year, I guess.....

JackJ
  • 2003/12/31 14:03

• JackJ

• Since: 2003/8/31

Happy new year to you.:)

Edit: Had some scottish tips but moved to do my own general greeting..:)

CBlue

Happy New Year to Everyone! Love that Pic, YourHelp!

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/31 18:21

• Stewdio

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:

I do wonder how we picked 00:00 01, January as the start/finish line. Isn't that totally arbitrary? The equinoxes are celestial events but New Year's? Is there a celestial event that marks the spot or did we just pick one?

The celebration of the new year is the oldest of all holidays. It was first observed in ancient Babylon about 4000 years ago. In the years around 2000 BC, the Babylonian New Year began with the first New Moon (actually the first visible cresent) after the Vernal Equinox (first day of spring).

The beginning of spring is a logical time to start a new year. After all, it is the season of rebirth, of planting new crops, and of blossoming. January 1, on the other hand, has no astronomical nor agricultural significance. It is purely arbitrary.

The Babylonian new year celebration lasted for eleven days. Each day had its own particular mode of celebration, but it is safe to say that modern New Year's Eve festivities pale in comparison.

The Romans continued to observe the new year in late March, but their calendar soon became out of synchronization with the sun.

In order to set the calendar right, the Roman senate, in 153 BC, declared January 1 to be the beginning of the new year. But tampering continued until Julius Caesar, in 46 BC, established what has come to be known as the Julian Calendar. It again established January 1 as the new year. But in order to synchronize the calendar with the sun, Caesar had to let the previous year drag on for 445 days.

However, in AD 567 the Council of Tours abolished January first in favor of March as the start of a new year, varying the actual day to coincide with the Vernal Equinox. New Year celebrations lasted for several days. The first day of the new year was moved back to January 1 with the advent of the Gregorian Calendar by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582.

THE CHURCH'S VIEW OF NEW YEAR CELEBRATIONS
Although in the first centuries AD the Romans continued celebrating the new year, the early Catholic Church condemned the festivities as paganism. But as Christianity became more widespread, the early church began having its own religious observances concurrently with many of the pagan celebrations, and New Year's Day was no different. New Years is still observed as the Feast of Christ's Circumcision by some denominations.

During the Middle Ages, the Church remained opposed to celebrating New Years. January 1 has been celebrated as a holiday by Western nations for only about the past 400 years.

So there it is in a nutshell

Cheers!

YourHelp
  • 2003/12/31 23:23

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Thats it in a nutshell m8.

Well she is the 1st.. happy new year

Login

Who's Online

315 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 315

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits