loom001
Admin page loop
  • 2003/12/30 2:36

• loom001

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/17

I did a search and maybe I missed this one, but I am having a problem when I click on Administratraion Menu I keep getting looped to "This is your first time to enter the administration section. Press the button below to proceed." Then I hit submit and it just keeps coming up with that. Any way to fix this? My XOOPS site just went Hay wire so I am trying to install a new clean site and reload different parts of the database to get my site up and running, but I can not even get in at this point to activate modules. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

kahumbu
Re: Admin page loop
  • 2003/12/30 2:58

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Do a search on Firewall problems. This looping problem is most common with discussions on Firewall problems, especially Norton. You might find solutions there.

CBlue

Did you use fantastico to install your xoops?

kahumbu
  • 2003/12/30 7:14

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Yup, Fantastico--this one too.

The double-F (Firewalls and Fantastico) often result to Loopy Admins.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/30 7:25

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Fantastico installations can be problematic for some, since some of the file permissions are owned by the server, not the site owner.

I found this out very early when I signed up my new hosting account. I quickly scrapped my Fantastico install and did it manually to bypass file permissions. In fact, I don't use Fantastico for anything, period. I am much comforted by knowing that I have installed things myself and kept the files up to date. If a host gets behind on their cPanel upgrades, XOOPS suffers because it installs older versions and updates are hard to apply because of file perms.

Anyhow, it still may not solve your problem if it's firewall related, but worth looking into doing an install on your own in the root directory (another thing Fantastico won't let you do). Once completed, just copy your XOOPS db from the Fantastico install into your own (don't forget to add drop tables). Reinstall your mods first, then do the DB upgrade and your good to go.

With any luck you should be up and running, if not, do a firewall search here on the site for a solution, as this would be the only other problem.

GadgetMn
  • 2003/12/30 14:14

• GadgetMn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/15

I'm also getting this. Fresh install on the following:

Win2K - SP3
Swamp 0.2
Xoops 2.0.5.1

Installation was smooth (as normal). Have deleted install folder and made mainfile.php read only.

I have Norton Internet Security installed on local PC, but the server is also local and inside my firewall.

Any suggestions?

GadgetMn

loom001
  • 2003/12/30 15:23

• loom001

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/17

I am pretty sure it was a firewall issue at this point. I moved to my linux box instead of my XP system and it started working just fine now. My XOOPS site is hosted on powweb so it is a Linux based hosting company.

Mithrandir

Quote:

GadgetMn wrote:
I have Norton Internet Security installed on local PC, but the server is also local and inside my firewall.

Any suggestions?

GadgetMn

Server is local - i.e. running on the same PC?
If it is another PC, but inside the Internet router/modem, you'll still need to configure NIS to allow HTTP Referrer for your server.
Possibly even if it is on the same PC.

Try disabling NIS and if it works, then it's a NIS problem

GadgetMn
  • 2003/12/30 15:55

• GadgetMn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/15

Thanks all for your help. It was NIS and I found it by a) looking at the Privacy log, which identified the referer block and b) by turning off the security.

Once past the "first time" page I was able to turn security back on and still access the administration page.

I'm not even sure why I've got it on to be honest, it came installed on the PC. I have a seperate firewall protecting the ADSL connection anyway...

Thanks again,

GadgetMn

lungor
  • 2003/12/30 16:45

• lungor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/4 1

i got the same problem with xoop running on a linux platform. I have installed xoop for months and having it running smoothly. Suddenly, I am sure what i have done, i can't enter the admin page. It keeps looping to the page "this is the first time you enter the admin page..bababa" Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits