charpres
Does WF-Channel support blocks?
  • 2003/12/22 23:52

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

I've been trying the latest version of WF-Channel (v1.05b) --which I like very much, and have been trying to get a WF-Channel block to display. I know I have Users set to show the module, but there is no block check-box. There also is no check box in the Blocks admin. I have had no problems with getting group permissions and block access correct with any other modules.

After fooling with this for awhile, it dawned on me that perhaps WF-Channel does not have block support and that the only connection is from the Main Menu. Is that correct, or am I missing something basic?

Catzwolf
Re: Does WF-Channel support blocks?
  • 2003/12/23 1:30

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

charpres wrote:
I've been trying the latest version of WF-Channel (v1.05b) --which I like very much, and have been trying to get a WF-Channel block to display. I know I have Users set to show the module, but there is no block check-box. There also is no check box in the Blocks admin. I have had no problems with getting group permissions and block access correct with any other modules.

After fooling with this for awhile, it dawned on me that perhaps WF-Channel does not have block support and that the only connection is from the Main Menu. Is that correct, or am I missing something basic?

No you are not missing anything at all.

I did not see a need for blocks for this module, maybe I am wrong and should be convinced otherwise?

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/23 1:49

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
snip...

, maybe I am wrong and should be convinced otherwise?

Pokes Catz with a cattleprod and sends the scary mascot after him! *Zzzzzt*

Convinced yet?

charpres
  • 2003/12/23 15:39

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

It's not a real problem. It would be nice, however.

In the meantime, for blocks it would be easy enough to create a custom block and then have links to the various channels you wanted people to be able to access. That is really all that blocks do anyway.

pstrasma
  • 2003/12/23 16:08

• pstrasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/23

That is the sort of solution I'm considering. I want a prominant "about this site" block to appear front and center for new unregistered users. Registered users will then access this message from a WF-Channel about this site default page.

To be implemented athttp://piquant.us/imsa/ once I figure out where that channel content is stored.

charpres
  • 2003/12/23 17:45

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

The channel content is stored in subdirectories off the module/wfchannel directory. The WF-Channel admin panel allows you to change where the content is stored.

What I would do is create the content and only allow the Webmaster to access the Main Menu link to WF-Channel. I would then use the Main Menu to access the content and make note of the links to the indvidual content and then put the links I wanted in a custom block.

I plan to use this mainly for an "About This Site" block as well. This would probably include some help content, some "about us" content, the included link to us content, and perhaps a few others.

pstrasma
  • 2003/12/23 18:18

• pstrasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/23

A few things strike me as good ideas after playing around with this module on my site (http://piquant.us/imsa/):

1) Integration to Contact Us module & Site Info block
There is an overlap of intended functionality between these three parts. WF-Channels should superscede the "refer a friend" function of the Site Info block. And why not enable a WF-Channels about link and the Contact Us link in that block as well? I've done by editing the templates and hinding the other modules; however, it would be much cleaner if 3 three parts were integrated.

2) Ability to manage multiple top-level content trees.
Often there is a need for more than one content trees. If possible, it would be helpful to have the option to make each channel a parent with it's own main menu link. For example, I am currently implementing my site's "About this Site" content tree with WF-Channels and the "Reunion 2004" content tree with TinyContent. I next need to add a third tree with another set of content. It would be ideal to manage all these pieces in the same module, sharing the same set of templates, images, etc...

3) Separation of About, Refer, Link (& Contact Us) functionality
Counter to my above statement, it does seem like these pages are truly specialized. Features like RSS generation out of the news module are great but pretty unrelated to the general content function. So maybe it would make sense to split this project into 2 separate modules, WF-Channels & say WF-About? WF-Channels should become the generalized content manager with multiple trees in point #2 and WF-About could become to specialized about this site module.

Just my $0.02. Great work!

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits