gjustier
XOOPS and PEAR ?
  • 2002/4/30 9:02

• gjustier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/30

Hi folks,

Is there any plan of using PEAR for (amongst other things) independent database connection ?
This would be particulary handy on Intranet for exemple (ISS+SQL SERVER, Interbase,etc...) where you cannot always convince Admin to install mySQL....
Thanks,
Guillaume

onokazu
Re: XOOPS and PEAR ?
  • 2002/4/30 12:40

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

XOOPS already has its own database abstraction layer. Though we only support mySQL now, we do have plans to support other databses like postgreSQL, interbase, firebird.

farsus
  • 2002/4/30 17:14

• farsus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2001/12/16

Quote:

onokazu wrote:
XOOPS already has its own database abstraction layer. Though we only support mySQL now, we do have plans to support other databses like postgreSQL, interbase, firebird.

what about SQLite that would be nice.

/Farsus

FastEd
  • 2003/10/24 6:26

• FastEd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/24

When will XOOPS support anything other than mysql?

Herko
  • 2003/10/24 7:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Making other abstraction layers possible in XOOPS requires a lot of code rewriting. And I mean a LOT. Also in the modules. It's possible, and probable to do that, but it will not be in the next release, I think.

Herko

Runaway
  • 2003/10/25 0:14

• Runaway

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/4 1

PEAR is a lot more than a database abstraction layer.

It is a whole library of really useful high quality classes. Recently PEAR has really been maturing as a project and the number of cool new packages that are being added is going up rapidly.

The database layer thing is an interesting issue. It's occured to me that if someone just made an XOOPS db driver for PEAR:B, then you would get compatibility with all those other databases just for the work of doing one. Still, as other have said that's a lot of work - and testing. And I don't know if it would be compatible with the other cool PEAR:B classes like DB_DataObject.

But like I said, PEAR is more than a database abstraction. There's some really time saving classes in there. One of the modules that I want to develop for xoops, I'm thinking of making it require PEAR, just because of the amount of time it will save to develop the module.

Check this out:
http://www.headbonk.com/feeds.php

This script was written using the XML_RSS PEAR package with about 12 lines of code:

<?php
require_once "XML/RSS.php";

$rss =& new XML_RSS("<Xoops backend URL>");
$rss->parse();

$channelInfo $rss->getChannelInfo();

echo 
'<h1>Headlines from <a href="'.$channelInfo['link'].'">'.$channelInfo['title'].'</a></h1>';

echo 
'<p>'.$channelInfo['description'].'</p>';

echo 
"<ul>n";
foreach (
$rss->getItems() as $item) {
    echo 
"<li><a href="" . $item['link'] . "">" .$item['title'] . "</a></li>n";
}
echo 
"</ul>n";
?>

Note also, that this rss parser is more robust than the one that is bundled with XOOPS. It will handle feeds that XOOPS can't.

Anybody have any thoughts about whether it would be acceptible to require PEAR for an XOOPS module? (not for DB, but for other packages like the one above)

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits