MLimburg
Module Web Installation & Standards
  • 2003/12/11 23:42

• MLimburg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/8 2

Here's the idea..

The ability for an Admin to point to a .gz modile file online, and have the server download and install it to the site.

The important thing would be establishing a standard for modules when being packed into an archive file. The easiest example would be for the module to exist within /modules/nameOfModule and for the code to expand the module into that environment.

A usual check to not overwrite an existing module would be needed, as well as an option to delete (move for restore?) an existing module.

Thoughts?

Mithrandir
Re: Module Web Installation & Standards

Expanding on the idea: A system admin option of upgrading XOOPS, which automatically connects to XOOPS.org and returns a list of possible upgrades (if any) and when an update is selected, it installs it and updates the system module.

How about that one?

chrisz
  • 2003/12/12 3:12

• chrisz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/9 1

Quote:

MithyT2 wrote:
Expanding on the idea: A system admin option of upgrading XOOPS, which automatically connects to XOOPS.org and returns a list of possible upgrades (if any) and when an update is selected, it installs it and updates the system module.

How about that one?

Now that would be SWEET! LOL Stupid me, twice, has downloaded the latest version of XOOPS to update my current version. Here's the problem, I didn't download the patch, I downloaded the full install and uploaded the files, overwriting everything I had. lol my own fault. hehehehe

Have fun!
Chris

thans
  • 2003/12/12 8:46

• thans

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/29

... would be really cool...

but...

all the apaches out there are running under nobody-rights... this means that you have to chmod 777 the modules directory... i think this isn't a very good idea...

Mithrandir

Right - there are plenty of cautions to take.

Perhaps a temporary CHMOD 777 of the modules folder could be included in the script? (I have not a lot of knowledge about permissions and what you can or cannot do from a webserver)

Also, would I want more people able to do changes to my webserver? It's not as if uploading a module folder to the root/modules and then installing it in XOOPS administration is hard.

And the "point to some tar.gz file on the Internet and run it" ... if that isn't a potential security risk, I don't know, what is

But a nice thought, nevertheless

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits