disky
Re: Post your feature requests for the newBB
  • 2003/12/2 15:51

• disky

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/31

Syncronizing with newsgroups.

1 forum for 1 newsgroup.

If someone posts in the newsgroup it will be added to the forum, and if someone post in the forum it will be send to the newsgroup.

The tree structure of newsgroups just have to be flattened out to use in the forum, but the original posting which someone is replying to will be remembered so that the tree structure is preserved in the newsgroup.

This forum can do that:
http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/forums/

Another VERY neat feature would be the possible to have the thread shown below the input window of the system, with latest posting on top, just like th XForum has in PostNuke.

djsckizo
  • 2003/12/3 7:59

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

I understand the whole idea of wanting to be different from everyone else and XOOPS definetly does that. It is much easier to use and better looking than any of the other CMS things out there. But these are some of the things that made me go with invisionboard over the newbb forum:

Avatar size changing like in Invisionboard. This is one of the primary reasons I didn't go with PHPBB as well. I like that a user can upload an image and the system will resize it.

More user control. I like that Invisionboard gives you more control over the board and the users, including flood control, adding extra profile fields, image uploading for profiles, taglines, and user ip look ups. I like having those kinds of options. Users like having the ability to add more about themselves.

Forum moving. Please, please please add this. Moving Categories around is good, but if I want to create a forum that I want higher up, I can't. Say I left out the "News from the Admin" Forum and I wanted to put it at the top of a current category...I can't because I can't re-order forums.

I have another thread floating around here for improvements to XOOPS as a whole called "Bunch-o-Stuff". I'll have to dig it up and check it out to see what all I added.

Anonymous
  • 2003/12/3 18:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Forum moving. Please, please please add this. Moving Categories around is good, but if I want to create a forum that I want higher up, I can't. Say I left out the "News from the Admin" Forum and I wanted to put it at the top of a current category...I can't because I can't re-order forums.

This is added at the current developing Version... so don`t worry )

lubdub
  • 2003/12/3 20:07

• lubdub

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/28

* group permissions (allow a group to read/post in a forum, the user by user mode is painful)
* hide topics in blocks from people who don't have access rights to those forums (same for search results)
* group permissions
* more advanced message-manipulation functions (removing a single message without deleting children, split a subject, join threads)
* group permissions
* see a "last edited by ... on 2003/xx/xx" info (or even (but costly) a full edition history)
* group permissions

That's it.

Did I mention group permissions ?

lubdub
  • 2003/12/3 20:12

• lubdub

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/28

Quote:

techgnome wrote:
thread. I would be more likely to actually use the threaded mode, if the posts were expanded to the show the post rather than just the subject line of the post (which I then have to click). Maybe this can be another view option.

Right!
Have the Nested view of comments available for NewBB too.
(maybe more integration of newbb and comments?)

Ruddle
  • 2003/12/9 3:34

• Ruddle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/10

NewBB is really nice already, but there are two things off the top of my head that I would suggest:

1. The ability to upload/attach a file. It would be nice to be able to post a file and then collaborate on it. Perhaps this could be controlled by group.

2. If you don't have access to a forum, or a category, you should not see it at all. Rather than get a permission error message when trying to access it.

Great job! Is there a time frame when the next version will be out?

- Rick

Beast
  • 2003/12/10 5:37

• Beast

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/7 2

1) The ability to upload files. Size of file restricted by the forum settings, or by user settings (configurable).

2) The ability to upload pictures (with control as per 1).

3) Private forums to have icons that show when new posts are present. Currently it just shows the locked icon with no colour change.

4) Icons showing new posts to work properly :).

There is more, but mostly it has been mentioned already.

Cheers!

So like, when are we looking a potential release?

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/10 7:10

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

The "ONLINE" status by the poster is nice. Would be nicer if there was a link beside it that says "Chat Now". That would be a first in a Forum Feature.

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/10 7:13

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

Quote:

Ruddle wrote:
1. The ability to upload/attach a file. It would be nice to be able to post a file and then collaborate on it. Perhaps this could be controlled by group.

I like that one...I always have a UML diagram that I have to present and this would be real good

djsckizo
  • 2003/12/10 8:38

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Quote:

Ruddle wrote:
2. If you don't have access to a forum, or a category, you should not see it at all. Rather than get a permission error message when trying to access it.
- Rick

I love this idea. This is how Invision Board does it too and it works great. I don't have tons of people bugging me to get into an area of the forum that they don't even know about, unlike other forums that do have this problem.

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits