m0nty
Xoops display help needed
  • 2003/11/28 18:34

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i created a site but it has fixed width flash header and a fixed width banner section optimized at 1024x768 res.. is there a way of getting XOOPS to detect the users screen size and then load a different image up for the header? etc

or i cud create a enter site page on the index.html file that users can click on if they have 1024 res or 800 res screens.. but the problem is how can i get XOOPS theme to load up an 800 width image for an 800 selection and load up a 1024 img for that selection?

i know there's the width command but with using flash it isn't possible and using a tile image is out of the question..

Per4orm
Re: Xoops display help needed
  • 2003/11/28 18:43

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

At the risk of sounding "old-school", IMHO your best option is to lose the flash header altogether and use a different theme. In the first instance, flash can cause accessibility options, especially for users viewing your site from a webcafe or library for example, where a flash player isn't installed. Secondly, a flash header, especially of that size, is going to use a lot more bandwidth than you might want. Thirdly, a site optimised for 1024x768 with no resize option is also going to cause problems with certain browsers, each of which have different display sizes.

In my opinion, it's always best to ensure a site looks good on an 800 width screen first, then think about the higher resolutions.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it has at least made you think about how important that flash header REALLY is.

Regards,
Gareth

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits