• haisam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/11

using: 2.0.5

I created a category called

Elections

and a subcategory under Elections called:

USA

So I categorized an article as Elections->USA but the article does not appear when a user selects Elections. It really should since USA is a subcategory of Elections. What's wrong?

CBlue
Re: Sub-category problem?

Category in what module of xoops?

tjnemez
  • 2003/11/24 22:08

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hey haisam,

can you provide url of your site? i understand if you are not ready to go public, but it may help with issues if some of the guys could visit your site.

haisam
  • 2003/11/24 23:28

• haisam

• Just popping in

News Module

CBlue

You're right, haisam, it should appear. I have created several categories and subcategories and when I click on a category only the news that I put in that category and not a subcategory below it appears. Personally, I like it that way because I want my categories and their subcategories to be separated, otherwise what would be the point in creating a subcategory.

Per4orm
  • 2003/11/24 23:49

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

I think this one is a matetr of opinion. Personally, if I've created sub-categories it is because I want to sperate them from the parent, and therefore I like things the way they are.

Having all the news from sub-categories appear when you click on the parent would be a bit like having all the posts appear in a forum before you've selected a topic. But that's just my opinion, and opinions have been getting people into trouble of late

haisam
  • 2003/11/26 14:11

• haisam

• Just popping in

Am I mixing up category with topic? Is there a topics manager in xoops?

Here's the situation:

I have this parent and its descendents:

Elections:

England

France

Germany
Federal

USA
Federal
State
County

Laws:

USA
Federal
State
County

How do I view all articles which have the category Elections?

How do I view only Federal Elections in the USA and able to see that I am actually looking at the Elections category and not at the Laws one?

CBlue

Your categories according to what you've written above should be only Elections and Laws.

Your subcategories under elections should be what you wrote above as being under the main category of elections. Same thing with your subcategories under the main category of Laws.

When you click on the Elections main category link instead of choosing one of the subcategories, you will only see the topics that you actually put into the Elections category and not in a subcategory. To see topics in a certain subcategory, you have to click on that subcategory title.

That is how the categories and subcategories work.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits