SirTanksAlot
Re: Pical vs. Agendax

Note: someone with pratical experience can/should speak up too.

I am planing to use categories to break events down by groups w/i an organization. (The site I'm planing will be for a church group.) For Example: the youth group, the retired/"Golden Years" group, the church leaders, various fellowship groups -- all would have seperate blocks/categories of events that apply to them. But it is also important to be able to get a "All" overview to help eliminate conflicts, etc.

That is how I forsee using categories w/i the calendar.

builderb
  • 2003/11/21 6:34

• builderb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/8/4 2

I use categories because I run a community based website where I have multiple groups posting events. In some cases the calendar is jam packed full of events and it's nice to be able to select a category that your most interested in and view only those events like Schools, fairs and festivals, government meetings, etc.

I think that feature can be added to PiCal fairly easily. more easily than adding the recurring event feature to agenda-x IMHO

zshelton
  • 2003/11/21 7:43

• zshelton

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/20

Upon closer inspection, I see that piCal does have good support for repeating events -- perhaps even better than PostCalendar. PostCalendar does have repeating events, but the options for setting them is in a much more simplified interface -- I haven't figured out yet whether the piCal repeating events interface actually provides more functionality or not.
What PostCalendear DOES have that none of the others (in any CMS that I have tried so far) is a full set variables for event contact (name, phone, email, website) and location (name, street, city, state/province, postal code) and event fee. This is in addition to the more typical event title and event description.

jayjay
  • 2003/11/21 8:53

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

Hi GIJOE!

I'm the guy who requested the implementation of categories in PiCal a while ago on your site:
http://www.peak.ne.jp/xoops/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17&forum=1

If I knew that you wanted some more info about this feature I'd certainly have given you it

Here it goes: I use your fab module in a site I'm preparing for a city council. PiCal will be a kind of event calendar where we post cultural events, concerts, theatre, recitals... I'd like the categories feature to distinguish between events and to give the user the possibility to search through a certain category he likes.

Also lots of employees of the city council will be entering data in PiCal. By using categories the look of the calendar will stay homogeneous, because employees have to select an event category and can not invent their own classification for events.

Hope you can make something nice!

Greets,

Jay Jay

DobePhat
  • 2003/11/23 5:37

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

The only problem with all calendars I see throughout...is that not many events can be listed in the calendar month view...without them looking completely messed up!

So....Im wondering if we could figure out how to "tag" and event with an abbreviation, and have the "key" displayed on top....

does that sound like a possible good idea?

Also, Agendax still looks much better from what I can tell so far...and the multi-categories is good....
IMO: it would be better to just fix up the admin features in Agendax......

Just thinking out loud!

DobePhat
  • 2003/11/23 20:04

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Re: PICAL
OK, i see now the admin end is considerably better....but the appearance....it looks so damn ugly (the calendar itself and minical)!

Shouldn't be hard to modify though...Ill start working on it and pass it along!

I also like agendas quick links, as opposed to calendar images for view type.

Thanks for working on this joe!

evylrat
  • 2004/7/16 8:46

• evylrat

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/25

How's the contest shaping up? I use AgendaX, tried PiCal, not so sure. BUT, found a flaw with AgendaX, search function doesn't pick up anything in AgendaX.

Login

Who's Online

227 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 227

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits