gruessle
Re: Xoops 2.1 Module development Roadmap
  • 2003/11/11 23:38

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/20

One more,
Email notification with title/subject of post would be nice.

gruessle
  • 2003/11/13 11:59

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

Forum improvement:

We use the forum mainly as a support module here at xoops.

I was wondering if it was possible to add something like track and close to the forum?

I ask a question at the forum (Topic start)
I get replies but they might be not what I am looking for. (Topic unsatisfied)
Lets say the 3rd. reply answers my question. (Topic satisfied)
Now I can close the thread and everybody can see that this thread is closed and satisfied.
The thread is still viewable for users but it does not show up as an unsatisfied question anymore.

Now we can list unsatisfied questions in a separate block.

How does this sound?

In addition, if I (or who ever started the topic) don’t come back for an answer for lets say 3 days the topic goes satisfied automatically until reopened by the topic starter.

I think I probably could have explained this in a shorter matter, please forgive me.

basby
  • 2003/11/13 13:27

• basby

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/28

Malexandria's post addresses many important things (imho). I have some things to add.

Quote:

malexandria wrote:
NEWS CATEGORY BLOCKS

A way to display News Topics by Individual Categories
in Blocks - with automatic bullets to distinguish headlines. So on the Home Page you can have 4 Blocks
for 4 Separate Topic Categories. Top News, Top Reviews,
etc... The ability to display these by recently added.

And maybe a single Top Line Block for the Headline of
the moment, where you can have a big photo with some
intro text or something. Which goes to the question of multi-column news.

For wfsection I would like to have the same functionality. On my home page I want to have several blocks: one with the last 1 article in category A, one with the last 2 articles in category B etc.

Both for news and wfsection, once a visitor looks at an article in category C, in the right column I want to display the latest x articles in category C.

Quote:

<b>MAIL USERS AND REAL NEWSLETTER FUNCTIONALITY</B>

I would like to get a Newsletter or Mail Users function that actually works. To this day I still can't get the Mail Users thing to work all that well. I would like to be able to send out a weekly newsletter with the option of sending it in HTML or Text format, Send A Specific Page (i.e. homepage, or maybe a special non-linked custom designed newsletter page, etc...) And then have automatic opt-out process.

phpList would be great! With phpList one has the ability to automatically send out a newsletter every week (or month or whatever) with the contents of an RSS file. This requires each module (for me: news, wfsection, forum) to support RSS.

sunsnapper

General:
Allow the name of a module to be configurable through the admin interface, rather than needing to search and replace through a module. Done in such a way that multiple instances of the same module is no problem.

*Goodies*:
Make sure the WYSIWYG interface is generating xhtml 1.1 compliant code (i.e., not including deprecated elements like "align" for "img" tags.)

Make sure that the interface users have access to has the ability to format the text that is highlighted, rather than throwing updated text to the bottom of the post.

Search:
Be able to specify search by user and keyword... (i.e., show all posts by sunsnapper with keywords "IE render bug")

New module: "LookUp"
- This module allows you to add tables of data to the database (via the XOOPS interface or by importing a delimited file).
- Then it allows you to indicate a field (at least one) that you can do a lookup on.
- The data for that record is then exposed, so that desired output can be formatted via template as desired.

For example... I create a database of movie info. I indicate the lookup field is performer.

The user indicates a performer's name and all info for that performer has a template variable name so that the admin can present all the data... or simply a list of movie names, at their choice.

Mithrandir

Quote:

gruessle wrote:
Forum improvement:
I was wondering if it was possible to add something like track and close to the forum?

Now I can close the thread and everybody can see that this thread is closed and satisfied.
The thread is still viewable for users but it does not show up as an unsatisfied question anymore.

How does this sound?

Sounds very interesting - but very often threads start in one direction and then moves in another, but the original topic starter will be able to close it down? I know it's hard with many users, but isn't that a job for the moderators?

Quote:

gruessle wrote:
In addition, if I (or who ever started the topic) don’t come back for an answer for lets say 3 days the topic goes satisfied automatically until reopened by the topic starter.

"don't come back" meaning... what? Log in or read the thread?

Mithrandir

Quote:

sunsnapper wrote:
Search:
Be able to specify search by user and keyword... (i.e., show all posts by sunsnapper with keywords "IE render bug")

Very interesting.
Possibly an "advanced search" where you can specify fields to search, e.g. only posts within the last month, by a certain author and with certain keywords

Quote:

sunsnapper wrote:

- This module allows you to add tables of data to the database (via the XOOPS interface or by importing a delimited file).
- Then it allows you to indicate a field (at least one) that you can do a lookup on.
- The data for that record is then exposed, so that desired output can be formatted via template as desired.

For example... I create a database of movie info. I indicate the lookup field is performer.

The user indicates a performer's name and all info for that performer has a template variable name so that the admin can present all the data... or simply a list of movie names, at their choice.

Not quite sure, what you want this to do. Should this be available to all users? Is it a way to present one-table information? I'm fumbling a bit here, so please do elaborate

gruessle
  • 2003/11/13 23:20

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

MithyT2 wrote:
Quote:

gruessle wrote:
Forum improvement:

How does this sound?

Sounds very interesting - but very often threads start in one direction and then moves in another, but the original topic starter will be able to close it down? I know it's hard with many users, but isn't that a job for the moderators?

Quote:

gruessle wrote:

Quote:
Sounds very interesting - but very often threads start in one direction and then moves in another

Yes that happens if it is a discussion, maybe the poster could chouse between starting a discussion like the topic we have right now or a support question witch only needs a basic answer, as in "How do I change my password".

Quote:
track and close to the forum

Well what I am trying to accomplish is that when I come to the forum to help people I like to see a list of TOPICS, which have not been satisfied jet. Maybe there is an easier way then what I have suggested let me know if you can think of something.

Quote:

That is a good question. I am not sure I guess read the thread would work.

Mithrandir

Quote:

gruessle wrote:
Quote:

MithyT2 wrote:

That is a good question. I am not sure I guess read the thread would work.

That leads to next question - if there are no replies... then the thread is removed from the "unsatisfied" list even though it isn't satisfied.

sunsnapper

Quote:

sunsnapper wrote:

Quote:
MithyT2 wrote:
Not quite sure, what you want this to do. Should this be available to all users? Is it a way to present one-table information? I'm fumbling a bit here, so please do elaborate

My thought is this would be for the admin, though I suppose any group you wanted to give permission to could use it. I guess you might call it an extensible module. A tool someone could use to create a basic application without building full blown module.

It allows you to create a table of records... preferably by adding records in the module interface, but, with an option to upload comma delimited or other standard db file format.
(It could also have an option to point to existing records with a particulr prefix... say, LookUpApp1 or whatever naming convention).

Then it allows you to indicate which field is the lookup field and which fields you want to return on a match.

It then creates two basic templates (that the admin can modify later if they like) for the application you have created. One is the user input template... where they can enter a zip code, or actor name, or whatever it is you have set as the lookup field. The next template is the output template which returns the data from the matching record.
(Each pair of templates would be named for the application... you might have block_input_app1 and block_output_app1 or if the user named the application something more useful, like Movie Actor, it could create
block_input_movieactor
block_output_movieactor

The user could create as many uniquely named "LookUp Applications" as they might need, all without ever writing the module themselves. It just hides a few layers of complexity from the user.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

Mithrandir

Well, those kinds of databases and lookups may sound like a great idea to have on the fly - but usually it needs a bit more thought than that.

An example, the movie database:
You'd want a list of movies with a description, actors etc. - but the same actor can star in more than one movie, the movie can be a sequel to another movie and similar problems, which are usually handled by having several tables joined.

Add to that, the fact that probably several people would want to search for actors or "related movies" or movie title or keywords in the description.

What I am aiming at is that it will most likely not satisfy the wants of your audience, once they get over the novel feeling of having an "on-the-fly" database lookup module.

Login

Who's Online

132 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 132

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits