sudhaker
LEECH ANY THEME EASILY ;-) FROM XOOPS2
  • 2003/11/6 17:29

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/6 2

Many sites force us to register there before we can download their developed theme. Not possible for many of us, if that is a non-english site.

View source of any page with that theme, look for style.css link, it will take you to themes folder. There is a default 'index.html' in that folder preventing you from leeching it.

But ok. We know for sure that, theme.html and style.css is there. GET THEM. See the sorce, it will tell you what other files you need to leech, may be few more .htm and images.

Herko
Re: LEECH ANY THEME EASILY ;-) FROM XOOPS2
  • 2003/11/6 17:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

what's the point of this post? Many people don't like their themes to be copied, and most have copyrighted images as well, making it illegal to leech themes. The XOOPS Core Team strongly resists this method as it is unfair to the theme designers.

Herko

sudhaker
  • 2003/11/6 18:14

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

Why don't we consider it as XOOPS bug ?? AND FIX IT

By the way, there is no way one can technically stop someone from copying IMAGE / CSS / HTML / FLASH (or any other content which is served to browsers directly).

The best we can do is, hide smarty templates (move it to db).

Herko
  • 2003/11/6 18:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

then why try to fix this technically, when the real problem is the legal and ethical aspect? Leeching of XOOPS themes is not good practice and should not be promoted, or even endorsed. That's how we look at this, not as a bug...

Herko

sunsnapper

I understand the controversy surrounding this and believe that people should respect the wishes of theme authors.

However, in sudhaker's defense, I think the technique was aimed at least in part at the difficulty of registering at sites in unfamiliar languages and/or character sets.

I respect the XOOPS Team position on not using the work of others without permission...

sudhaker
  • 2003/11/6 18:34

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

OK OK, WE SHOULD RESPECT OTHER'S INTELLECTUAL RIGHTS. BUT ONE CAN SURELY USE IT TO LEARN (LIKE, WHAT COLOR CODE IS THAT AND WHAT SCRIPT DOES THAT).

USE IT, ONLY FOR LEARNING PURPOSE GUYS !!

sudhaker
  • 2003/11/6 18:36

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

MODERATORS,

IF YOU FOUND OFFENSIVE, YOU CAN SURELY DELETE THIS THREAD.

THANKS,
SU

tjnemez
  • 2003/11/6 19:50

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

being canadian, our official language is both french and english. if i were fluent in french i would certainly offer a french site as well. that i am not fluent in french should be considered a bug with XOOPS is perposterus.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/7 8:06

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Any chance you could stop shouting too, Got a cracking headache

ibzan
  • 2003/11/7 8:25

• ibzan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/31

I was under the impression that servers could (if not should) be set up to disallow direct access to these types of directories - i.e. an unidentified user does not have full access, but the system does and when the system calls for a file it has access, however if a user simply types a URL directly to, say the css file, it will be denied.

Leeching is pretty lame, and in my estimation show a lack of creativity and effort to make something unique. Some stuff is great to learn from, but you'll never learn from simply copying. If you want to learn css, there are some GREAT sites that have both overall as well as step by steb guides for all levels of understanding.

Well that was my two cents worth

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits