ronhab
New Hosting Provider Wanted
  • 2003/7/31 9:18

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/27

EDIT: I have a new one now, but am on a month to month plan, so I can still listen to offers, but I have relocated at least for this month. If they are no better I will move again.

I am thorougly unhappy with my host Netfirms and am looking to move. I am seeking out recommendations on a quality hosting provider. Any and all recommendations welcome.

Any hosting provider that can _guarantee_ a reliable level of service can contact me at reliable57 AT yahoo DOT com. (EDIT: Changed the email addy as my mail is down).

Here's my current bandwidth usage this month to give you an idea what range of service I need. I am small but growing. Or I was before my provider ruined my site's rep with 2 straight days of horrible performance:

Total Bandwidth for Month: 3574.39 MB
Average Per Day: 115.30 MB

ronhab
Re: New Hosting Provider Wanted
  • 2003/7/31 9:42

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

Forget that email address, it's down too.

reliable57@yahoo.com you can send information too.

Amaddeus
  • 2003/7/31 13:08

• Amaddeus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/10

I really enjoy phpwebhosting.com. They have been doing a great job for me for about six months. I have six sites set up with them, and they are always very helpful.

I have ready ssh access, (I also ssh from work where I don't have access to the ssh port, so they gave me access on the Telnet port also) They give compile rights.

Whenever I have a question or concern, they email me back very quickly.

You should check it out, it is month to month also.

ronhab
  • 2003/8/4 16:43

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

phpwebhosting is who i went with. unfortunately, they are not doing so well either. it is fast, but the site goes down daily. Like now. Your second site in your signature is down too.

Are all shared hosts like this? My only previous experience is hosting my own with various companies and colo services, but neither is an option due to $.

Any reliable providers out there or do I have to decide whether to bite the bullet and pay drastically more $$$.

hsalazar
  • 2003/8/4 18:22

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

ronhab:

Take a look at iPowerWeb. Though my sites are small, I haven't had problems with them, and very, very seldom their service fails. Also they respond quickly to questions. And at the price they offer, it's a bargain.

Cheers.

patagon
  • 2003/8/4 19:39

• patagon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/1/8 0

Ronhab:

I had similar problems a long time ago. I went with pair (pair.com) many years ago and I am satisfied. I think you can get much better prices in other hosts (though I havent been checking lately) and their support hasnt been very helpful at times (they do answer but sometimes the responses were not as helpful as I would have liked). However I hardly ever needed to contact support and their reliability (IMO) has been incredible. They also have (or had, havent checked lately) a limit on the number of mails a process can send, which caused me a lot of troubles when I setted up a mailing list (if sending a lot of mails is one of your needs you may want to check now the details of that).

my opinion is that there is no such thing as a perfect host, though for me and my needs, pair has been enough...

hope this helps.

Jaypee
  • 2003/8/4 19:57

• Jaypee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

I use WhizHost (www.whizhost.com).

For $99/year, you get 3GB of space and 30GB/month traffic.
You can host up to 10 domains on the account.

Web Control Panel for All
Anonymous Name Server
Unlimited E-Mail Accounts
Unlimited E-Mail Redirects
Unlimited MySQL DB's
Proactive Spam Filtering
CGI-Bin, Perl, PHP 4, SSI
Shared SSL, GD Support
FrontPage 2000/2002 Ext
Password Protected Files
Customizable Error Page
Graphical Statistics, Logs
Streaming Media Support
WebMail, Autoresponders

(No, I don't work for them. I just cut and pasted the above from their site)

I've been using them for about 2 years now. The only drawback is that they don't offer smtp mail. So, you'll have to use your ISP's server for outbound mail or use sendmail/qmail or php mail function.

tom
  • 2003/8/4 20:51

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Try one and one, it's a UK company also based in Germany as there main HQ, I have a dedicated server with them, never had any major problems with them, one little one though, I once found my site was down, I E-mailed them to find out the problem, it took less than 5 mins and it was back on line again, So any problem is resolved quickly.

An excellent company in my opinion that cares for it's customers.

One & One Hosting

ronhab
  • 2003/10/16 17:24

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

OK, it has come time to move again. My site is crawling again. I think what happens with these hosting companies is they put you on as a new account. So you are on "the newest server", which isn't full so performance is good. Then as the server fills up to (over)capacity, your performance goes down. That is my theory anyway.

So, anybody have any more recommendations? I am currently looking at two already mentioned in this thread:
1. iPowerweb, which hosts another site for me. Haven't had any problems but that site is just a "marketing site" and doesn't get any hits.
2. Pair.com, which was recommended to me by a friend as well as in this thread. The only thing stopping me is price, as last I looked, pair was indeed about double the price of most other hosts.

Thanks again.

jhobbs
  • 2003/11/14 3:21

• jhobbs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/4 1

I suggest that you verify your panel (I use CPanel) gives you the capability to quickly backup and restore your MySQL files.
There are some MySQL utilities for backing up and restoring, but having it pushbutton-simple & as part of the CPanel package just saved my bacon tonight. I backed up XOOPS before modifications, then installed FreeContent, which somehow replaced the Administration module. A few minutes of troubleshooting & cursing, then a couple minutes restoring the backup, and all is well!

I'm switching hosts because of the better CPanel themes & support onhttp://VSHosting.net. If $15/month is too much, PM me.

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits