DobePhat
3rd party chat advice needed
  • 2003/10/5 22:45

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Greetings all,
Im very desperate for a nice chat module and am thinking about purchasing

This one: charges 5 dollars ( I swear Im not affiliated with them,)
called FlashChat 3.7 visit here

I would never hold anyone resposible for their advice (how could I) but the only thing about this 3rd party feature...
(says it is compatiable with xoops).I like that you can modify the flash files and etc.

BUT one of the requirements for using usernames from db, is too include information usually found in say...the "ini file" ie:db username and paswword.

I was concerned about this for security issues. Can anyone check out that site,offer some advice. Bad idea? Possible etc.? If so this could be a nice chat option.

Thanks all!

Draven
Re: 3rd party chat advice needed
  • 2003/10/5 23:18

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

I'm running flashchat on my site right now.http://www.gaining-mass.com/. YOu have to register to try it though.

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/6 3:02

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Which flash chat are you running?

the one Im referring too? or the Phat Chat found here?
Thanks
Ill check it out

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/6 16:50

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

I see you are indeed using the chat I was considering. I like it. Did you purchase it? Was it easy to adapt? And what version of XOOPS are you using?

Thanks,
Very Nice site by the way.

tom
  • 2003/10/6 17:40

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I've been using this Chat for a while now, I recomend it, but not sure about any security issues?

I originaly approached this developer a few months ago, and requested for him to make it xoopsed, which he did for me, it is an excellent script and he listens to all suggestions, here is a comment found at the bottom of his site:

Quote:
Timothy Bowers athttp://www.my-site.net for his language assistance and sponsorship

Found here:http://www.tufat.com/chat.php

I feel this is far better than any other chat at the moment, as it supports private messages, multi-rooms, private rooms, smilies (Not XOOPS smilies) and some other cool features, well worth $5.

I'm just gald to see it's the xoopsed version is available for all.

Take care and speak soon

Draven
  • 2003/10/6 17:57

• Draven

• Module Developer

Quote:

DobePhat wrote:
I see you are indeed using the chat I was considering. I like it. Did you purchase it? Was it easy to adapt? And what version of XOOPS are you using?

Yes, I did purchase it and it worked perfectly with my 2.0.3 version of Xoops. Didn't have to hack anything. Although I might to add new features. ;)

tom
  • 2003/10/6 18:23

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Draven wrote:

Yes, I did purchase it and it worked perfectly with my 2.0.3 version of Xoops. Didn't have to hack anything. Although I might to add new features. ;)

You do need to make some chat script changes, but there is a detailed textfile on it.

Changes include, how many members in a room, server settings (Not taken from mainfile.php), and some other cool features, like opening and closing times of chat.

There is no back admin, when a site admin joins chat they are made moderators auto (A request I made and was completed)

Hope this helps.

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/6 18:44

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Sounds great, I think it's very nice as well.

I just wasn't sure about using the db passwords in another file, would we make that one (whichever file it is we place it on) read only as well? (ie:same settings as mainfile or my.ini?

My understanding is that it is customizeable trough flash source as well. Is that true?

Thanks for your feeedback guys!
I'm gonna try it out.

tom
  • 2003/10/6 19:06

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Yeah you can customize the flash, and yeah RO

There are full instructions.

Draven
  • 2003/10/6 21:24

• Draven

• Module Developer

Quote:

You do need to make some chat script changes, but there is a detailed textfile on it.

Changes include, how many members in a room, server settings (Not taken from mainfile.php), and some other cool features, like opening and closing times of chat.

True. I meant I didn't need to hack anything to get it to work, but yes there a some config settings that need to be set. I also created a "Who's In Chat" block that I now use in my forums so people can see when there are people in chat.

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits