mvandam
Re: Don't forget about the accesibility
  • 2003/7/24 20:08

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Olorin and mike--h,

Very good points. I agree completely about making sites accessible; not only to people with disabilities, but also to people with older browsers or with browser features (e.g. javascript) turned off. And I agree that XOOPS news a little work with respect to the last one.

As for user-selected themes, it had never occurred to me that choosing themes might be for *accessiblity* reasons. Ideally CSS is supposed to solve such problems allowing a website to rely on browser default settings for font-size, etc... and to allow the webpage to be rendered on WAP devices or voice devices. In practice that is a huge amount of bother, people don't know how to do it, and even if they did, many browsers don't support complex CSS (layout, etc.) very well. Until we get to that point, maybe user-selected themes are a good intermediate.

Definitely some food for thought.

sunsnapper
Re: Don't forget about the accesibility

Quote:
This is one area where I would think that the ability for users to choose and keep their own theme was a benefit.

Accesibility could be tailored directly to the users needs.

Be there needs as in the above post, or if users are using different browsers, or say some prefer a "light" look or a "more featured" look. Flash or non-flash, different screen resoloutions and so on,

Shame imo no longer available as it does offer many more options to xoops. And opens more doors to users to use the site.

I think you can try the "Theme" Block:
System Admin | Blocks | Theme

I'm pretty sure it is an interface to allow users to choose a theme.

Perhaps it could be extended to read a cookie or an entry in the user DB to remember the chosen theme?

I know Ackbarr is using it, if you want to see a demo:
http://ackbarr.greatweb.com/

Anonymous
Re: time to say goodbye to newbb?
  • 2003/8/22 23:06

• Anonymous

• Since:

This is kinda related...do any of you know if it is possible to export newBB posts to the news module as articles?

tbudzich
Re: time to say goodbye to newbb? - To gain group-wide permission...yes
  • 2003/8/27 22:03

• tbudzich

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/27

NewBB doesn't appear to support group-permission for it's private forums. Instead, you have to add each user to each private forum. While I'm sure most folks don't need this, its a feature I'm not sure I want to live without. I imagine I'll just hack the mod.

BUT

As I read all these post about IBF, I know I'm going to have to go fiddle with it now...

mvandam
Re: time to say goodbye to newbb? - To gain group-wide permission...yes
  • 2003/8/27 22:25

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Quote:

NewBB doesn't appear to support group-permission for it's private forums. Instead, you have to add each user to each private forum. While I'm sure most folks don't need this, its a feature I'm not sure I want to live without. I imagine I'll just hack the mod.

There are hacks available to do this, written by a user called regen_r8. I think the hack might be found in the downloads section... if not, a search of the forums should turn up some links where to find it (search for 'private forum hack' or 'private forum hacks').

Hober
  • 2003/8/27 22:54

• Hober

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/13

Quote:

Shufflebug wrote:
...Especially the thing you didn't mention thepod, the notification email that is sent when receiving a new PM !! I think this feature would take my users to log in more often on site, 'cause they know there's a new msg for them.
We have a global notification system in XOOPS 2 now, why not using this one to notify about new PMs as well ?? I think there's a big lack !...

It seems that with the new notification stuff in XOOPS 2 that would be a pretty easy hack, maybe I'll try, and maybe somebody else should too....

Eastgrove
  • 2003/9/11 3:05

• Eastgrove

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/5/15

Things needed in NewBB Core (in my opinion ):

In order of inportance:

1. New posts since last visit should be saved in the database per user instead of using cookies. With cookies it gets screwed up if you clean out your cookies or log in from another computer.

2. Group management for private forums.

3. Better moderation as mentioned erlier in this thread.

4. (While a bit of topic) Tying notification to the PM's.

Thank you!

malexandria

Spot on! If I knew there was an intention to enhance newbb to include some of the features it's lacking over the Invision and Phpbb boards, then I'd have no hesitation in sticking with newbbBut to my knowledge there are no plans to develop the newbb feature set further (I may well be wrong on this), and the fact I don't posess the skills to code it myself means that if I wish to have these added features my current options are somewhat limited.

I'm not as involved in the XOOPS project as I used to be, other than trying to help market it. But I would be willing to bet that the Devs are working on enhancing NewBB for the next major release. And I'm sure the devs are monitoring this thread as well. I think other than complaining about NewBB and saying that PHPBB or IVasion etc.... is better, or contains more features than NewBB. I think a more constructive thread would be, you guys tell us what your dream enhancements to NewBB would be. I will put all the suggestions into a nice requirements document and then we can go from there.

I would actually be interested in finding out exactly what new features everyone would like to see added to XOOPS for the next few releases. Maybe we as a community can actually draw up a community roadmap, and then the new module development team, the core team, and other devs can submit hacks and improvements based on what everyone comes up with.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/9/11 4:20

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

malexandria:

You are right on this subject

We are working on an enhanced version of newbb as we speak and shall be released for XOOPS v2.1.0. This will be one of the first modules to be updated and should enclude many of the enhancements asked for.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/9/11 4:22

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Oh PS:

I did that conversion of storyline you asked for, I also included in the code comments on what I changed to do this.

Will email you asp ok

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits