Herko
Re: MassMail to members [fixed]
  • 2003/5/27 11:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I've debugged a bit more (after updating the files with cvs versions) and I now get the following javascript error when sending an email to my 92 members:
window.document.mailusers.mail_send_to.value empty or not an object.

I've dug into the code, but all I can find is the standard creation of a checkbox where you can choose between e-mail and pm, which is a required field. I suspect the error is somewhere in that required fields function.

Results are still the same, however. Blank page after submit, no mails sent. I use the php mail class, so it's no server error.

Any idea's on how to solve this? I can't send any mail to my users, and I really need to...

Herko

malexandria

I've never been able to get the mail function to work. The only way I'm able to send mail to my users is to do the following (tedius) process -

1) Go to your MySQL db
2) Download the Xoops_users file to your HD
3) Convert the file in Excell (using the comma deliminated
option)
4) Copy and paste the email addresses (column) to word
5) Search and Replace all ' with a blank space
6) Save word file
7) Copy all the email addresses to your email program, and then send your members email that way.

It's not a quick way to do it at all. But it's been the only way that I've been able to email my users.

blueangel
  • 2003/5/27 14:28

• blueangel

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/2/20

I had the same problem, I get a blank page when a try to send an email to registered users; but by me it works with the group of administrators. Herko, have you the same behaviour?

Herko
  • 2003/5/27 19:33

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

blueangel wrote:
I had the same problem, I get a blank page when a try to send an email to registered users; but by me it works with the group of administrators. Herko, have you the same behaviour?

Nope, I get a blank page with any group I send to. And the error is the one described in the previous posts, about an illegal call to a member function.

Someone please look at this!!

Herko

malexandria

Quote:

that's what happens to me. I'm able to send to groups that have really small numbers, like my webmaster and writers group, but I can't send to the registered users group.

blueangel
  • 2003/5/28 6:56

• blueangel

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/2/20

so I think that there are more problems related to the Mail User function..

malexandria I think that our problem is related also to the fact that we cannot edit the group of registered user and we cannot modify users

actually I have still no ideas on what happen

gstarrett

Quote:

blueangel wrote:
so I think that there are more problems related to the Mail User function..

I'm seeing (I believe) the same thing. Try to email a group, but my page says "email send" even though it has not! I recall in the previous version the email addresses that got the note were listed on that page, but that may have changed since the older version.

Any thoughts? I would assume this is a fairly common thing to use.

Other notes worth of mention are that I'm using Register_Globals OFF with PHP 4.2.2, Apache 2.0.40, RedHat 8.0.

mvandam
  • 2003/6/7 21:08

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

I am still unable to duplicate this problem using latest codes from CVS.

I created 30 bogus users (someone mentioned they had problems with 16). Put them all into 'Registered Users', and randomly assigned a bunch to a few other groups. I can successfully mail one group, all groups, a few groups, etc... no problems.

Please make sure to get the latest files in modules/system/admin/mailusers/ from CVS on sourceforge.

If that doesn't work for you, can everyone give me more details of problems? Everything you can think of. XOOPS version. Was it an upgrade? How many total users? How many users in the groups you are mailing? Are you selecting other options on the mail-to-users page? Debugging messages? Does your 'edit user' page work correctly? etc. etc. Does it mail to *some* users but not all?

malexandria

Quote:
malexandria I think that our problem is related also to the fact that we cannot edit the group of registered user and we cannot modify users

Actually I've always had this problem, even under 1.35 . I think it's an issue with an artificial "limit" being placed on the number of users being sent to. So maybe it simply refuses to send to more than say 70 people? Or it's a memory problem.

I've narrowed down my issue with the Edit and Modifying users to the fact that there's a memory leak. X2 seems to be crapping out of memory while trying to pull the user
data from the users table. And I can't figure out how to fix
this problem. My host provider increased the php.ini file to 10 and it still runs out of memory.

I'm betting this is also part of the problem with the mail users function that it's not running in a bunch of different environment and there's something in the code that's preventing from sending to "large groups".

gstarrett

Quote:
Actually I've always had this problem, even under 1.35 . I think it's an issue with an artificial "limit" being placed on the number of users being sent to. So maybe it simply refuses to send to more than say 70 people? Or it's a memory problem.

Now I'm definately thinking that my problem is likely different (but maybe not!).

When I try to email multiple, even with PHP debugging on, I get scrambled characters on /modules/system/admin.php?fct=mailusers (this may be new from my original post, I have CVS copies of the files loaded).

I'll look into this more to determine where my site when I get some time (hopefully within a few days)

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits