Aerobrick
Configurable, optional, profile fields
  • 2003/5/15 16:29

• Aerobrick

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/21

The ability for admins to add/delete/turn on/turn off various user profile fields would be great.

Maybe implemented as a set of optional fields that can be configured and then turned on as wanted? Admins would have to add a field name, a field size (where applicable) and a field type (radio button, check box, text entry; with appropriate contents where required) and then check whether the optional field should be available in user profiles or not.

If these fields were then useable in finding and emailing registered users, it could make site-specific admin tasks that much easier.

As a really simple example, one might like to have a selectable button for gender in the user profile (i.e. a radio button set for "Male", "Female", "Not sure..."). I'm sure other admins might have other site-specific fields that they'd like to be able to add to user profiles...

Conversely, some admins might not want some fields that already appear.

---
Aerobrick

tom
Re: Configurable, optional, profile fields
  • 2003/5/21 4:18

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

This would be a very valuable feature, something I would like, and also the option to make some fields mandatory on sign up, maybe.

hrac
  • 2003/5/21 7:18

• hrac

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/7/15

Everyone wants this feature, but no developer answers these questions or requests.
Quote:

tom wrote:
This would be a very valuable feature, something I would like, and also the option to make some fields mandatory on sign up, maybe.

DaBoyz
  • 2003/5/21 10:23

• DaBoyz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/8 1

Look here ...

mvandam
  • 2003/7/6 22:10

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Quote:

Everyone wants this feature, but no developer answers these questions or requests.

I know this is an old thread. This idea discussed sounds like a good one to me as well. To make sure devs read feature suggestions such as this (they don't have time to read *all* forum posts/threads), please post on sourceforge. First make sure nobody has already posted it, then outline in detail the feature... if you are familiar with XOOPS code, then any implementation ideas you have would be helpful as well.

WildJim
  • 2003/7/11 12:05

• WildJim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/5 1

Yeah, we definitly need such feature. Especialy to build modules that take those fields in their templates too, like
<{if $xoops_isuser == true}>
your phonenummber: <{$xoops_userextrfield_phonenr}>
<{/if}>

and offcourse to write back in those fields too

chippyash

Quote:
I know this is an old thread.

I've been looking for this and can see no further action on any dev forum anywhere. Somewhere else, someone said that 2.1 would have this functionality, but I cannot track down the dev roadmap to check.

Herko
  • 2004/5/4 8:06

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Yes, this is scheduled for the next major release of XOOPS (which will be XOOPS 2.2, as 2.1 will be the beta release, following the Linux kernel version numbering scheme: odd versions=beta, even versions=stable). There is discussion on how to implement this feature, but not if it should be implemented, or if it is important. It will come, in one form or another.

Herko

jegelstaff

I'm very glad to hear this is going to come. I'd strongly suggest that every field in the profile, except perhaps username and password of course, be optional. To customize our sites properly, we would want to get rid of just about all the current profile fields, since, for example, instant messaging IDs aren't relevant within our company. Herko, can you fill us in on the direction this implementation is going, or point us to a discussion or document where it is outlined?

Thanks very much,

--Julian

Booga
  • 2004/7/17 3:42

• Booga

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/29

this would most definately be a great enhancement......

I am as many others are very keen to see this come in the next release.

Regards,
Booga.

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits