zyspec
Re: Is there a module to manage teaching classes?
  • 2013/4/1 18:23

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Another option, although really "rough", is to use a content module with group support. Put each user in their own group and then you could create an article and only give that group permissions to access it.

It'd be hard to manage for large groups but maybe not too hard for a private instructor with 30 or so students.

If you can't find any other solution, it's an option...

chefry
  • 2013/4/1 22:50

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

Unfortunately Xbase is the same as anything else available out there and it doesn't fit

Like all others, the student fits the schedule. In schools that are a business, as opposed to government schools, it's the other way around. the schedule fits the student.

A setup like that would be perfect for all kinds of schools: Language schools, driving schools, golf schools, etc

think of MS Outlook Contacts, combined with MS Outlook calendar, a store (for selling books), another Contacts module for the teachers, and accounting. all interconnected and working together so that data needs to be entered only once.

I had a programmer working on this a couple of years ago but he never finished. I think I have a .jar file kicking around with the basic layout if someone wants to look at it.

It would be a module for Xoops that nobody else has. No competition, and unlimited potential

redheadedrod

Chefry, I have a desire to integrate some modules like this but With the other projects I have to work on first it will be quite a while. One of the reasons for my previously mentioned "library" system so that many modules can be integrated to share information easily.

A commercial example of what you are talking about probably would be Blackboard.

In my security stuff I heard about an open source Blackboard type program available called Moodle that can be freely installed on a Linux machine. I am not familiar with it outside of that. I don't know if it can be integrated with xoops but it could be an option as well for someone if they can load it on their server.

Again, I have NO experience with it. The ONLY thing that was mentioned to me is that Moodle is an open source attempt at duplicating Blackboard. I believe Blackboard uses modules to add functionality to a core framework. (Hmm Sounds familiar somehow...)

My schools use blackboard for tracking grades, email, assignment hand ins etc. So I can see the flexibility that it has if this is the sort of system you are mentioning.

With the profile and xroster modules I will be hopefully be able to work on this summer maybe I can look at the idea of adding stuff like this. When I revive the profile thread and ask for comments please remind me of this so I can look into it. I have some experience in Java so if you don't have any takers I would be interested in looking at it in a couple months. (My Classes are done in about 5 weeks so I am trying to cram everything in and get these done.)

chefry
  • 2013/4/2 23:57

• chefry

• Home away from home

I took a look at Blackboard and Moodle. They are both systems for online learning not schools administration.

I'll wait until you have time Rod :)

redheadedrod

Just looked.. My classes are done as of May 3rd so I have exactly 4 weeks left not including this week for the semester.

I HAVE to get the PDO connector and Installation stuff done before I do anything else but I would like to hear exactly what you are looking to do.

If Moodle IS an open source attempt at blackboard I didn't really see anything you were looking to do that it won't do other than the book store stuff.

All three of the colleges I have been taking classes with use Blackboard to Administer the classes but it allows much more than just that. In my in person classes it handles the assignments, grades, all announcements, resources for the classes etc. My teachers use blackboard to post all of our assignments and can send out announcements to the classes etc. For my online classes it also has a discussion board as well that we can make use of. The assignments, tests and whatever else is done online can have a posting date that they are due by.

It also allows for in class emails that stay only on blackboard so you can email the other students in the class.

From what I saw I believe blackboard uses modules and for different functions you use modules to perform them. Similar to Xoops. I am assuming Moodle is similar but I don't know for sure.

But as I said before, once I understand exactly what you are looking for I can probably comment better. I want to believe that the profile module I am looking to do should be able to handle the vast majority of what you are looking for with simple add ons.

btesec
  • 2013/4/3 20:36

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

chefry,

You can do a google search for open source learning management systems and you will find atleast two others in addition to moodle. Obviosly for more high level requirements some of these products/developers sell the best features.
But as redheadedrod is suggesting it would be good to have a xoops modules or integration with these scripts. It all depends on what your requirements are.

dbman
  • 2013/4/4 1:40

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

Moodle is free (GPL), blackboard is commercial software. Both are pretty similar in use and use modules or plugins to enhance or provide various functionality required to run a virtual learning environment.

chefry
  • 2013/4/4 6:59

• chefry

• Home away from home

in the last 3 years i have searched, researched, tried, and re-researched every program available. I know what google is

nothing is available for my market

redheadedrod

Chefry, check your PM's. I left you one...

I may be able to help you out but check your PM for details.

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits