irmtfan
Re: Roadmap 2.6.0 Discussion
  • 2012/8/14 5:45

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

DCrussader:
I review the xoops 2.6 code (but honestly i dont take too much time on it until now) and one can see a huge revamp in the codes. It will definitely be a fabulous version.
language definitions should be changed but maybe in Alpha 2 or 3.

Profile module need a complete revamp. I dont think it is good to replace it with a new one like xRoster unless it can be possible to work like a unique module.

I am now busy to send features for the core.
once i be free from core features i sent features for Profile, PM modules.

redheadedrod :
Quote:

I will be picking up little things along the way and try to help out but I am not experienced enough with the core stuff to do major core coding.

I wish some developers like you and wishcraft be more familiar with xoops API and vitally with xoops 2.6 API. It is needed. especially the xoops2.6/class/xoops.php is doing the important role now (+1800 lines!!!)

DCrussader

Quote:

Instead of 960.gs, we already have implemented Twitter's Bootstrap 2.0, which is 960.gs on steroids!

So no need to wait till 5.0.0! Thanks to Nicolas (ForMuss) it's already implemented in the Core and ready for testing!

Added support for one or another framework won't show much, if the user still have to stick in 3 columns and 8 blocks positions from the administration.

Block administration need removal and to be rewritten from scratch.

Quote:

Profile module need a complete revamp. I dont think it is good to replace it with a new one like xRoster unless it can be possible to work like a unique module.

+100(or 1000)

.... so for now is more like Preview Release, not even Alpha 1.

redheadedrod

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
DCrussader:
I review the xoops 2.6 code (but honestly i dont take too much time on it until now) and one can see a huge revamp in the codes. It will definitely be a fabulous version.
language definitions should be changed but maybe in Alpha 2 or 3.

Personally I would like to see a more universal language system where a vast majority of translations are available in a central location. This would allow you to use the same translation table for many modules and such right out of the box without requiring a large amount of work. Just haven't figured out a good way to make something quick that can load that many things in easily or allow quick lookups without taking a bunch of memory in the process.

Quote:

If you saw my postings elsewhere I want to strip the profile module and make it more of a framework module than a do it all module. This will allow much more flexibility and allow easy advances to be made without having to redo the module. The profile module does a lot of things and by making an extensible module things like adding/subtracting/editing items will be a whole lot easier. Profile module handles user registrations, authentication, as well as display information about the user. By making it extensible it will make most of the current social modules obsolete because you will be able to do pretty much anything you want with this setup and make it your own.

xRoster is a very small and really only somewhat mimics a portion of what Profile does. But because xRoster can be very useful to many people for listing people that may or may not be on the system. I plan to test some of the ideas I have for a new profile module with this module. xRoster will not be built into a new Profile module but a new profile module will share many items I build into xRoster.

Quote:

redheadedrod :
Quote:

I will be picking up little things along the way and try to help out but I am not experienced enough with the core stuff to do major core coding.

I wish some developers like you and wishcraft be more familiar with xoops API and vitally with xoops 2.6 API. It is needed. especially the xoops2.6/class/xoops.php is doing the important role now (+1800 lines!!!)

I will do what I can but as I have mentioned before I have very limited time. I wish I had more time because I would love to get to know Xoops inside and out and really start putting out modules. When I am done with the DB stuff and the Install program I will try to get more into the core to understand it better and go from there.

Mamba
  • 2012/8/14 10:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Added support for one or another framework won't show much, if the user still have to stick in 3 columns and 8 blocks positions from the administration.

He he he!

You ask for 960.gs, I'm telling you that we have already something much better, and instead of being happy, you are saying that it doesn't matter!

Come on! By happy for a moment!

And yes, changes for blocks are planned for Alpha 3:

Quote:
Modification of blocks positions.

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

tatane
  • 2012/8/14 11:13

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

The display system of content on xoops can not do whatever you want.

I faced some time ago in a display problem that I have also not been resolved: I wanted to incorporate this theme to xoops. Unfortunately I can not display one module per page. If for example I want to display in the contact module contact page I can not because xoops does not allow display modules separately.

Joomla allows it to display the modules to where we want.

redheadedrod

Quote:

tatane wrote:
The display system of content on xoops can not do whatever you want.

I faced some time ago in a display problem that I have also not been resolved: I wanted to incorporate this theme to xoops. Unfortunately I can not display one module per page. If for example I want to display in the contact module contact page I can not because xoops does not allow display modules separately.

Joomla allows it to display the modules to where we want.

What do you mean?
You can do this now with the "blocks anywhere" hack.
(May need to update it for 2.5.5 if you are using the newest stable xoops)
You can go further with this with the block permissions to show a block or not on a page.

So the only things that are currently set in stone are the header and footer in your theme and you can make those whatever you want. The rest of the screen you can have on or off depending on what you want to do.

Also the theme can place blocks (Or not) wherever you want. You could also write code into your theme to modify what your doing as well if you want. People have done all sorts of cool stuff with themes on xoops and unless I am missing something you can do what you discuss with xoops and have been able to for years.

2.6 should allow for more flexibility with blocks and allow the same functionality as the blocks anywhere hack. (I have not looked to see if this is the case but it was one of the items slated to be done with 2.6)

Roby73
  • 2012/8/14 21:32

• Roby73

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2011/6/15

Very little suggestion....
In the last version is possible adding in language/global.php one definition for the social network? us_US, it_IT?

Mamba
  • 2012/8/15 3:13

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
In the last version is possible adding in language/global.php one definition for the social network? us_US, it_IT?

Can you give an example of what you mean? The plan is to switch to standard language codes for translations, but I am not sure I understand the connection to social networks.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

tatane
  • 2012/8/15 7:16

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

Quote:

redheadedrod wrote:

What do you mean?
You can go further with this with the block permissions to show a block or not on a page.

not, for example tried to contact the module footer! it is impossible. You understand?

mariane
  • 2012/8/15 8:15

• mariane

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/1/11

Quote:
What do you mean?

Block anywhere allows you to place a block anywhere in your theme, but what you can do if the module dosnt have a block? for example if you wish to show a quick contact us form in your footer, what is the best solution to do it with xoops? the module contact dosnt have a block.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits