Anonymous
Re: Cookie Warning (new European law) insertion. How ?
  • 2012/7/18 11:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

A free script like this seems easy and could be called from your theme. But will it work with xoops, does it prevent sending cookies when used as a popup while loading a page with a cookie?

Peekay
  • 2012/7/18 12:32

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@shine

As Mamba has already pointed out.

From the ICO website:

Quote:
Some cookies can be exempted from informed consent under certain conditions if they are not used for additional purposes. These cookies include cookies used to keep track of a user’s input when filling online forms or as a shopping card, also known as session-id cookies, multimedia player session cookies and user interface customisation cookies, eg language preference cookies to remember the language selected by the user.

Session cookies, language cookies, cookies to prevent security issues are exempt under this law and fall under the status of 'implied consent'. You do NOT have to ask permission to set them before the site is loaded.

If you implement a script to pop up a cookie warning when you are just setting a session cookie, many people will (quite rightly) assume you want to set tracking cookies and go elsewhere.

As the only way to record someone's consent to cookies is to set a cookie, or to store their IP address in a database, this stupid law is encouraging webmasters to record more personal data about site visitors than before the law was introduced.

RamteamJax
  • 2012/7/18 13:11

• RamteamJax

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/6/17

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
@shine

As Mamba has already pointed out.

From the ICO website:

Quote:
Some cookies can be exempted from informed consent under certain conditions if they are not used for additional purposes. These cookies include cookies used to keep track of a user’s input when filling online forms or as a shopping card, also known as session-id cookies, multimedia player session cookies and user interface customisation cookies, eg language preference cookies to remember the language selected by the user.

Session cookies, language cookies, cookies to prevent security issues are exempt under this law and fall under the status of 'implied consent'. You do NOT have to ask permission to set them before the site is loaded.

If you implement a script to pop up a cookie warning when you are just setting a session cookie, many people will (quite rightly) assume you want to set tracking cookies and go elsewhere.

As the only way to record someone's consent to cookies is to set a cookie, or to store their IP address in a database, this stupid law is encouraging webmasters to record more personal data about site visitors than before the law was introduced.

Thát is so true. Ridiculous law. While, for example, in 90% of european countries you only have to notify visitors about cookies (either on top or bottom or left/right of the page), in the Netherlands and I believe (not sure) France, you need to implement a pop-up and ask for permission.

As a fellow CSC (cyber security consultant), my nephew (who leads the IT behind the scenes in 'de tweede kamer') notified the government about this crazy and stupid and extremely ridiculous law, especially because either:

- some systems do not have the option to implement such thing which leads to a lot of costs for webmasters to redo every website they made and make in the future.

OR

- simple webmasters (like me, i'm still learning a lot) have no idea hów to implement such script(s) which also leads to more costs because they have to hire someone to do it.

.. it's an utter ridiculous law and everyone involved in the website- and design business are stressing out to get things done.

The webmaster of www.fok.nl (a dutch news-site) has posted a wicked review of this so called 'security for all means'-law. It's in Dutch, but if you hit the translate button in chrome (if you use it), you will get the idea of what's so ridiculous between dutch coverage of this law and the rest of the european union. Featured is an English movie embedded from youtube about this act:

- Dutch Cookie-Law

Shine
  • 2012/7/18 19:45

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

To make it complete (also Dutch but use translator!!) see links below!

http://www.opta.nl/nl/actueel/alle-publicaties/publicatie/?id=3595

http://blog.e-difference.nl/algemeen/de-cookiewetgeving-wat-is-het-en-wat-zijn-de-gevolgen.html

As you can read and see, Dutch ppl and - website owners do have a big problem.

Peekay
  • 2012/7/18 21:09

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The Opta.nl site says:
Quote:
Dit geldt niet voor cookies die noodzakelijk zijn voor de technische werking van de site. - This does not include cookies that are necessary for the technical operation of the site

That (should) mean that session cookies are exempt. A basic install of Xoops (should) only set a session cookie.

However, I can see that your concerns are valid and that the information officer for the Dutch government really needs to clarify the issue. If they really do require every site to have a cookie warning, then they will seriously damage the opportunities of Dutch businesses that own websites.

I am sure I am not the only person that will treat such a warning as a security risk and quickly go back to the search listing.

playsome
  • 2012/7/19 0:35

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Just to give my two cents on the eu cookie law...it's pretty rediculous, but we have to comply with it i suppose.

For me, I implemented a new privacy and cookies policy for the small non profit i work for and created an info box at the top of the page so when someone visit sthe site, I can let them know that we use cookies and they can click continue to accept, this falls into implied consent(i think), ironically when someone clicks continue it hides the info box and sets a cookie to remember its been hidden. LOL

Also someone can still browse the site without clicking continue.

I dont know about other European countries but if your in the UK I woulnt worry too mcuh about it, do a cookie audit and update your privacy/cookies policy to show which cookies you use and what for and if you relaly want some to do some sort of pop up/info box to alert users then that should be enough to help you comply. Alot of the big orgs in the UK still havent complied and alot of government agencies still havent complied so I dont think theres much to worry about to be honest.

Yurdal
  • 2012/8/18 12:31

• Yurdal

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/3/27

i found a good solution for this, just found a website who have a tailor made solutions for free, als the script5 are free and there are tons of variations

please visit the link hereunther

http://cookiecuttr.com/

Anonymous
  • 2012/12/30 14:57

• Anonymous

• Since:

Fortunately the Dutch minister has come to senses. A new law is in the making. allowing first party analytic cookies without warning, as long as they are not being shared with other parties.

There still is some fuzz about consequences, it is not sure if a third party like google analytics may be used for collecting data or not. So I am happy with using Piwik for analytics

Mamba
  • 2012/12/30 15:13

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Great news! Thanks for the update!
I am happy to see that the reason prevailed!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits