Mamba
Starting a Content/News Module Development Team
  • 2012/7/3 22:01

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

As indicated in this post, we need a content module that is powerful, but extremely user-friendly, so it could be included with XOOPS Core.

As stated there, some of the options are:

Quote:
1) The current News module, but enhanced with best features from xNews and AMS

2) fmContent fork from Voltan

3) Publisher

4) Content from Kerkyra

5) Soapbox (as a single or multi-user blogging module)

We don't have to have only "one fits all" solution - we could have two or three solutions, e.g. an "entry-level" content system, and then a "power-version" with advanced features.

Please provide you feedback, ideas, and most importantly, let us know who would like to be part of this team....
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

mariane
Re: Starting a Content/News Module Development Team
  • 2012/7/4 10:37

• mariane

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/1/11

I am using publisher as content module for all websites, it's so nice but it isn't dedicated to make a content.
I think we need something that contains :
- many editors
- social icons
- extended search
- rss feed
- possibility to add many new fields (if possible)
- nice and modern templates and blocks.

all these features are available in publisher, so I think we can create 3 templates inside this module :
1- to be used as blog
2- to be used for articles and news
3- to be used as content module.

what do you think?

irmtfan
  • 2012/7/4 11:36

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

I just can talk about fmcontent, publisher and news.

1- news:
pros: nice, easy to use/navigate and and stable module.

cons: lack of many features and the most important of them is the SEO. also it is not clonable. templates are so lumpy.

2- fmcontent:
pros: many new features are available.
cons: the way of cloning (by grabbing mid) is not good approach IMO. Not fully SEO compatible. some bugs already reported.

3- publisher:
Pros: Clonable . many features are already available.
Cons: Just one important feature is missing. a field in the database for picture description. i thinkit would be better if the developer move all picture related contents to a new table like "publisher_pics". some minor bugs. not SEO??
The developer is currently absent (Sighhhhh)

Conclusion:

If Trabis back, the publisher would be the best choice.

nmshah
  • 2012/7/4 13:10

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Quote:
@Mariane

all these features are available in publisher, so I think we can create 3 templates inside this module :
1- to be used as blog

what do you think?

+1

Anonymous
  • 2012/7/4 14:10

• Anonymous

• Since:

I agree with the one module fits all approach Mariane suggests. I also love Publisher.

I would like it to be a basic module extendable with plugins, which could provide extra features like lightbox or a simple gallery, user friendly adding external content like movies from youtube or vimeo, social widgets, mytabs functionality and so on.

A better preview function which shows the content inside the site theme.

Shine
  • 2012/7/4 20:30

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

To my opinion there is a diffence between a news module and a content module. In fact, the names says it all. We should keep these diffences alive within the 2 diffent modules. So please do not make a content module out of a news module.
Let the news module be a news module.

Publisher is a real content module. I love this module for this purpose and use it several times. (very easy cloning) The templates and css of this module are still a strugle within several themes. So improving this part should also be done.
I don't know if I agree to make this module to a 'one fitts all approach'. It could result in a messy, not user friendly module.
Let me give you an example. As some know you have icms. This cms has also a core content module. I don't think I am that clumbsy with modules, but I couldn't get a descend sight how this baked in content module worked. I couldn't get a grip on it, and couldn't get it really to 'rock and roll'. Which made it not user friendly to my opinion.
Publisher is a very strong but easy to use content module. With some small enhancements and minor bug fixes you have a good basic userfriendly and cloneable core content module.

zion
  • 2012/7/4 22:32

• zion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/8/8 1

Quote:

mariane wrote:
I am using publisher as content module for all websites, it's so nice but it isn't dedicated to make a content.
- many editors
- social icons
- extended search
- rss feed

1- to be used as blog

what do you think?

+2

tatane
  • 2012/7/5 15:03

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

Quote:

mariane wrote:
- many editors
- social icons
- extended search
- rss feed

1- to be used as blog

what do you think?

+1

AngeloRocha

- Many Editors
- Social Icons (I love the effect of share holic)
- Extended Search
- RSS feed (For all content or only for categories)

--------------
- Friendly URL

- Comments template as the wordpress (could have the option to use IntenseDebate :P)

- More options for wysiwyg editor (http://bit.ly/f5As7j nicEditors is very good, could be an option (if possible))

- Management for static content

- Manage content featured (A simple slide (if possible))

- Block with categories list (Using the same id of main menu (if possible))

These are my suggestions

btesec
  • 2012/7/5 16:53

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

I have been using news for a while now but its development haulted for a while. Publisher is a good mod, but bugs are not being fixed. and the same thing happens with the other mods. Maybe we can agree on identifying these two mods and adopt them for development.

The issue has always been that mods popup here and there but are not being maintained for the long run leaving websites in the blues and at the mercy of the community. Certainly everyone here has their own lives to live. what can be done is to use sourceforge to idenity features and vote on them then move on down the priority list. Even to vote if a suggested feature should be considered for dev. and implementation. earlier this year I decided to use other CMS due to the unavailability of good production level mods in xoops. I noticed that it all depends on the business model each community decides to adopt. Most of the free mods which would give a site business/community value are poorly maintained, while if a paid for version is constantly maintained and evaluated by the community/commitees. Basic/small modules are easier to maintain and require less efforts. But the same cannot be said about more larger and complex mods.

I suggest that it is time to look around and get heads together and decide on a business model that will benefit developers and the Xoops CMS. Lots of mods hav been abandoned due to developers having to mods on to other avenues in order to survive financially. But I suggest that the resulting market by highly monitored and standards are set in place. And make sure that Xoops core is highly maintained as it has been happened lately. I have seen xoops since 2004 and I know that it has reached maturity status compared to back then. Maybe a shared revenue model would be best. In my opinion of course mods hav to be affordable to startups and veterans. Maybe offer two versions of a mod, free and paid. But these mods may hav to be certified/verified by a team to ensure they meet standards/criterias.

The reality is that you can't go to a food/fruit market and get free oranges and vegetables but you can get affordable products. When prices are sky high, people look at other options including contraband. Modules that are geared to making money would be the target. Lately I had to go to another CMS to get a good hotel reservation mod cause xoops doesnt have any that meets my requirement, if I would pay for one to be developed in would cost an arm and a leg. So think about it. These are just my two cents.

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits