Balzac wrote:
Basic module pack should contain:

- News module
- Content module
- Link module
- Download module
- Contact module
- Gallery module

With these modules somebody can create-start a descend website.

I support this viewpoint on creating a basic module pack.
It must be inside the core beside the pm and profile module, therefore core developers should care about these few modules just like pm and profile in every core release.
Even you can reduce the list more and merge content and news modules to one.
I think the main purpose for this basic module pack is to help the new user to find the vital modules easily and use them without any risk while more professional users can find other needs everywhere and can test and accept any risk in using the non official modules.

Mamba
Re: XOOPS Basic Module Pack RC coming soon for testing & feedback
  • 2012/5/6 7:42

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I would like to see a "Content" or "News" module, and Contact, to be included with Core.

Gallery or Downloads are too specialized to be part of Core, but they will be definitely in the Basic Module Pack.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2012/5/6 10:19

• Anonymous

• Since:

I agree with Irmtfan and Balzac, these 6 mentioned module are the only modules needed for building a basic website. Don't add more modules to a basic pack as getting them bugfree, updated and maintaining worldwide translations will still be a though job. Let's just mention the problems the news and extgallery modules still have...

All other modules mentioned by Rene are vital but extended.

Anonymous
  • 2012/5/6 11:13

• Anonymous

• Since:

- News module > news?
- Content module > fmcontent and Publisher?
- Link module > mylinks?
- Download module TDMdownloads?
- Contact module > contact?
- Gallery module > extgallery?

Anonymous
  • 2012/5/6 11:42

• Anonymous

• Since:

Extgallery is a risky module to add in a basic pack. It has some extended jquery features which can cause problems with themes using jquery. I would prefer a basic pack without a gallery, or it must be a very basic one, just showing pictures.

Shine
  • 2012/5/6 14:35

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

News: news module (hervé's news module needs updated without extra features)
Content: Publisher
Links: Mylinks (or WFlinks 107final:http://code.google.com/p/mcdonaldsstore/downloads/detail?name=wflinks_107_final.rar&can=2&q=) Wflinks 107 needs to be updated but is a good linkmodule.
Download: TDMdownload
Gallery: myalbumP (this was and still is a great userfriendly gallery module. Needs to be updated. See GIJoe's website:http://xoops.peak.ne.jp/) from GIJoe

To be honest a basic module pack should also contain a simple forum. Unfortunately Xoops hasn't (to my opinion) a good bugfree forummodule (newBB hasn't been updated for some time) ........

I also think that modules (news, mylinks/Wflinks, TDMdownloads) within the basic module pack can easily be cloned like publisher.
In fact, myalbumP can also be 'cloned'. At least you can install it easily several times. It was a feature GJ included.

redheadedrod

I have mentioned this before but I really don't think we should have 15+ modules in a basic module pack.. When we say "Basic" that to me says the modules that EVERYONE would use...

These do NOT need to be developed by the core team but they need to be considered as stable and "bug free" as the core does. This can happen over time just as the Protector module, Profile and PM modules have.

I think we should look at these "packs" being much smaller.

The Basic module pack should be something we all will use no matter what. With that in mind If you remove the Gallery and Download modules then I would agree.

Looking at the Modules packs as an Idea I can see we may end up having issues with different packs containing different versions of the same modules unless we standardize the packs to ONLY contain certain modules.

So lets say we figure out we could separate the 25-30 suggested modules into 5 different packs. Some modules really are too specialized to be included in a "pack" but may be something that we really can make use of. Just because they are important modules we shouldn't just attach them to a pack for the sake of sticking it in a pack. Packs should contain related modules that together provide a solution.

So instead of my installing a module pack on my site that contains 20 modules and I have to figure out which modules I need...

I instead want to have an xyz site that to build it is suggested I install packs 1, 3 and 5.

However the idea of a module pack will be obsolete assuming I am successful with what I am working on over the next few months. (Done with my classes and getting back to work on xoops stuff this week.. )
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Dante7237

Publisher, newbb, tdmdownloads, all good choices.
Here's a wild suggestion, how about integrating the smallworld social mod into the core, with FB and Twitter functionality as options?

At least a nod to social networking is called for in future efforts.

/2cents
The more I know, the more I know that I really didn't wanna know.

irmtfan
  • 2012/5/8 6:00

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

I think somebody are misunderstood here.
The "Basic module Pack" is one thing and "The bugfree compatible module packs" or " Packs for different purposes" are another.
The "Basic module pack" can be easily interpreted to "Core Modules".

I may agree with redheadedrod to remove even gallery and download module from pack but then we should have one full feature and bug free content module that can be changed to answer different needs. i mean one can use it as simple as news but another can change it to a gallery or download module.

redheadedrod

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
I think somebody are misunderstood here.
The "Basic module Pack" is one thing and "The bugfree compatible module packs" or " Packs for different purposes" are another.
The "Basic module pack" can be easily interpreted to "Core Modules".

Personally I think the "Basic Module pack" is becoming more a "Module compatibility" pack than what Mamba originally intended.

And if we reduce the number of "Basic modules" to about 4-5 of the needed ones then yes I do believe they should be included with core. This will reduce the number of "branches" as long as we try to maintain them with new features or allow for add-ins/plug-ins and such.

Then you can have separate module packs for intended purposes and they make more sense. IMHO

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits