redheadedrod
Re: If we were to start a 2.6 Branch what would you like to see.

Quote:

bjuti wrote:
Xoops need less memory consuption. If you have database with eg. 15000 articles in it it slows down, showing errors or something worse. I recently I've scripted 21000 articles in Xoops 2.5.5 (made cataloque of some institutions) and on localhost in php.ini it need at least 512mb to be set.

I believe 2.6 makes a big difference here If I remember right. It is not ready yet to even be considered alpha but seems like there were some performance upgrades with 2.6.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

timgno
  • 2012/4/20 8:18

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

Handling Errors with files such as:

root/.htaccess
root/errors.php or modules/system/errors.php

modules/system/templates/system_errors.html

bjuti
  • 2012/4/20 8:43

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

So what's the roadmap? Any alpha in a month?

Peekay
  • 2012/4/20 9:28

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I would like to see a separate set of forums for 2.6 beta development and a BIG notice on the homepage telling people not to post questions about 2.6 anywhere else except in those dedicated forums.

The problem I forsee is that there will still be many thousands of users of Xoops < 2.5 who will be asking questions about those versions here on XO. Users rarely state which version of Xoops they are using when they post and I get the impression that the answer to a question like 'cache doesn't work' will be completely different for 2.6 than for any previous versions of Xoops.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

DCrussader

2.5 (hopefully) will be maintained later after 2.7.5 release, and yeah, there will be different forums for each core. But since is no such core, who will post anything ?

Still the language part is not clear for .PHP/.INI files for the upcoming release.
Still there is no clearance till when XOOPS will maintain Nuke Themes ?
Still there is no idea what will be included in core, and what exactly to be this "core"
Still no idea how help.xoops.org will exists.
and in fact, nothing is known so far for 2.6.

Users using xoopses bellow 2.5.x will be directed to upgrade they're cores to latest stable, and then to solve they're problems. There is no such thing, someone to give support for Kernel 2.0.33 when is dead even in archives except here. since on xoops.org latest is 2.5.5 - they will use it, or will solve the problems with 2.2/2.0 on they're own. Same is for 2.3 and 2.4. Does anyone maintain topics for e107 v0.5x or Joomla! 1.0, or mambo 4.5 ?
May The Source Be With You!

redheadedrod

Well I think in part one of the problems is building the core team back up. We had a core group that pretty much chased off everyone else over the past 2-3 years and in the end showed their true colors and because of the damage done by them the core team is a bit lean at this time. And it seems that the current batch of programmers that have donated time to the core are limited in their time available. So until there are more team members or those left on the team have more time available things will go slow. Personally I have been trying to learn as much as I can with web design up front in my programming degree to try and help out myself but this severely limits my time as well. I am making a big push to finish up my classes in the next week then I will have the whole summer to work on things. With that I hope to help out and totally revamp some things.

I still have not learned about SEO and I am still picking up the intricacies of PHP but thanks to Mamba and others I have come a long ways. I hope to showcase some of those skills in some up coming projects such as the revamp of the install system.

I don't plan to go anywhere anytime soon but I will likely be hanging around the forks as well to pick up knowledge along the way. I think as programmers start coming back to Xoops and others join you will see Xoops grow. With the departure of the corrosive core team that we had hopefully any future one will be much more transparent and easier to work with.

Also, with the work I will be doing on a new download module it will help with separating the old modules from the ones that work today. I think I mentioned I decided to work on that after the install program. So I will be looking at the current modules for that soon. I agree that making it obvious which modules are compatible with the current system is a good thing.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

SMEDrieben
  • 2012/4/21 21:02

• SMEDrieben

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/6/17

I would prefer that a final version of the Basic module pack is released.

Thanks!

SMEDrieben

timgno
  • 2012/4/22 15:23

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

Create a Boolean control in the class XoopsFormText to avoid typing the same title or name of a category or a document with a warning, you are going to write the same title or same name, then you should write a different one.

Anonymous
  • 2012/4/22 15:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

I agree with SMEDrieben. Developing a new core is good, but please let it be backwards compatible with current modules. Xoops will not survive another debacle with modules stop functioning after a core update.

I would suggest to determine which modules have to stay compatible when 2.6 is final. Testing them during 2.6 alpha/ beta development and upgrading if necessary towards a 2.6 launch is crucial. I am happy to volunteer by testing.

Mamba
  • 2012/4/22 17:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I would suggest to determine which modules have to stay compatible when 2.6 is final. Testing them during 2.6 alpha/ beta development and upgrading if necessary towards a 2.6 launch is crucial.

That's the plan for the "Basic Module Pack", but we'll need help in testing, so your help is very much appreciated.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits