zyspec
Re: Fmcontent new version : Test and report bugs
  • 2012/4/10 2:03

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

It appears that the ability to add links to the menu doesn't work... or am I just doing something wrong?

What I want to do is just add a link to another 'page' within the site (to the FAQs module) but it doesn't appear to work...

Can anyone else confirm?

XOOPS 2.5.4, fmcontent 1.1

Mamba
  • 2012/4/10 3:24

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

fmContent is kind of dead right now, since Voltan moved to redo it as "News". Try that and see if that works for you...

Reg. your question, I don't think that fmContent had this capability at all. You were able to have links in a block that could look like Menu.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

DCrussader

and the anarchy with modules naming will continue to grow ?
Herve's News, Voltan's News, Trabis News, Mamba's News ....
is it so hard to pick different name ?
May The Source Be With You!

zyspec
  • 2012/4/10 23:25

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Sigh... the version I pulled down has an option for adding links and the docs claim it supports adding links to the menu - maybe it wasn't implemented before being abandoned. There's a few other functions that don't work as advertised so I guess it's no surprise.

Oh well, I'll go search for a menu module (maybe multimenu works with 2.5.4+). I'm far enough along with fmcontent and I've debugged some issues so I'd rather not switch to an 'unreleased' version of voltan-news right now. At least I haven't seen anything that says it's 'good enough' to use...

Mamba
  • 2012/4/11 1:07

• Mamba

MyMenus should be working OK. Please download it from SVN.

We definitely need a simple Content module to be included with XOOPS. I was hoping the fmContent will be that module but it seems like it became too complex with too many features, and now it's pretty much "Abandoned ware"

The "News" from Voltan (let's call it "vNews"), which is based on fmContent looks interesting too, but it could be too complex as well. Plus there is the conflict with name, which makes it more difficult. I've asked Voltan if it would be possible to change the name and add "cloning feature", so the user could rename it to "News" if they want it. Unless he can make the module as a "drop-in plug & play" module, so current News users would just copy the files over and could update their content to the new module.

I am looking now also at Content from Kerkyra and xCenter from Wishcraft.

What are the suggestions from the community? If we would like to include a simple and easy content module in XOOPS, what would it be? What features would you be looking for? Again, we are looking for a "simple & easy", so a first time user of XOOPS could use it.

For XOOPS 2.6 it might be the MyWord module from BitC3R0, if he comes back (he is absent at the moment).
Support XOOPS => DONATE

voltan
  • 2012/4/11 6:48

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

The problem is we don't have any Clear strategy about XOOPS Future. Idon't want start any new Discussion . but whit this development method We have no progress.

If you check SVN youd't see any activity in core development.

I write about 20000 codes for news module and I hoped it be good option for next version. I clean to many codes and write codes in corect way and this module can be Coordinator whit xoops 2.6 easy. But users just say : " WE have other news module ! rename it !!!! "

I can write a sample contact module for X2.6 but please tell me why do I this module????

I work on XE too. I see to many new options for development modules but in XOOPS we still don't have any new usefull option.

whit this development Strategy XOOPS have dark Future. I hope we come to corect way

DCrussader

Quote:

whit this development Strategy XOOPS have dark Future. I hope we come to corect way

Yeah by setting some rules.
1. One and only SVN on SourceForge.net, not everywhere on the net. NewBB got 3 latest releases and still is counted as alpha
2. Naming (check extensions.joomla.org) - is there such problem like here, no imagination or what ? Why every 2nd module should be named News and Profile.
3. Language files - English means, that all English files must contain English words only.
4. To follow some coding standards, since Mac causes trouble, convert code to UNIX only.
5. To maintain 1 language file per module, what's this 4 to 12 language files full with repeating phrases... XOOPS will not stop working with only one main.php or modinfo.php file.
6. To keep language files clean out of outdated crap.
7. Versioning, since core is Major-Minor-Revision, why modules versions are so messy, once is used x-x-x, another time is used x-xx.
8. To provide like with short description and requirements like Mamba's posts in Blue Move forums for every release, and to watch it in case bug is reported.

Quote:

But users just say : " WE have other news module ! rename it !!!! "

Long time ago, there was one great PHP Developer Herve Thouzard, he made News and several other content modules. For over years, this module become most used, downloaded and forked module ever. People remember Herve with News, so adding new news module can make only mess. What if the banned CMS uses XOOPS as name, or Xoosla to be XOOPS too, and ExV2 to use XOOPS as name, and XCL to remove Cube from they're name and to become XOOPS too ? How people will know what they're using ?

So this module should be released under another name and with cloning option, so people can run several instances of it under different names. Using several instances are required, bcz XOOPS first don't have core content module, 2nd bcz there is no CCK (Content Construction Kit).

For 2.6
MyWords for content, bXpress for forum, transport for downloads, contact (bitcero) for contact module.... since are the only "fresh" modules, which are not forks of forks using same names....
May The Source Be With You!

Mamba
  • 2012/4/11 9:26

• Mamba

@ Voltan,
Quote:
I write about 20000 codes for news module and I hoped it be good option for next version. I clean to many codes and write codes in corect way and this module can be Coordinator whit xoops 2.6 easy. But users just say : " WE have other news module ! rename it !!!! "

Voltan, you've been one of the best supporters of XOOPS, and we've been working well together on several modules.

But as DCrussader said, we cannot have several different modules with the same name. It creates confusion, as users won't know which one they are using.

Let's assume for a second that somebody downloads your module, copies the files over his "news" module, and then updates it. What happens then? Will the module work? If not, who will explain to him that he had the wrong module? And what happens if his data becomes corrupted? What happens if his Website's "News" won't work correctly anymore and he starts losing customers/visitors? Who will clean up his data? Will he be still happy with XOOPS?

Having the same name for two different modules that are not compatible, is confusing for the users, and simply too dangerous, if there is a risk that they can corrupt their XOOPS installation and/or data in the database.

Just think about the situation if authors of ALL these modules would call them News:

- AMS
- fmContent
- Publisher
- wf-channel
- Mastgo Publish

When Nicolas started work on his "fmContent" module, it was originally called "Content". And I've asked him to rename to something else, because we've already had a "Content" module developed by Kerkyra. And we've came up with the prefix "fm" (which stands for "ForMuss") for his modules, and we've got fmContent. This was similar to the "wf" prefix for modules from Catzwolf - a clear distinction of the name and the origin of the module.

"Publisher" by Trabis is a good example how it could be done, if the user wants to have a module called "News", but doesn't want to mess with URL rewriting in .htaccess . Publisher can be cloned to whatever name we want. So I could have "SmartSection", import the data from it into Publisher, then delete "SmartSection", and clone Publisher into SmartSection again, so all my links from other Websites pointing to "www.mysite.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=23" are working correctly , and the data is also correctly imported.

So if you create a "vNews" or "voltanNews" module, and it can be cloned/renamed into "News" for new users, or it can import existing News content, and then cloned/renamed into "News", then everybody would be happy.

Voltan, I did look into your module, and it has some nice features, and you put a lot of work into it. Since the current News module from Hervet is a little bit outdated, if you could make your module a "drop-in plug & play" module, which can be copied over current "News" module, and updated, and it will work properly, then we could make it the "official" replacement for "News", and tell people to use it going forward.

Could you make it a "drop-in plug & play"?

But I don't think we can tell our current users: "We have a new module called News, but it's incompatible with your existing News module, and it won't work with your data, so stay away from it." Because the question from them will be: "So why are you calling it then News"?

Quote:

I really don't know how the issue of "module naming" relates to "XOOPS Future"? Clearly, I sense some frustration from you

So what future would you like to see for XOOPS as it relates to your "News" module? What would make you feel more comfortable? Please tell us more, so at least I can understand better what you have in mind.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

bjuti
  • 2012/4/11 9:44

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Please all calm down. :)

I agree that the name of the module is an issue. fmContent or News is a great module with bright future, and it sould be renamed in fmNews or vNews (v stands for Voltan :) ), and the problem is solved.

There is only one reason why I never user fmContent/News on a production site: I couldn't manage url rewrite to work. But while I tested it in localhost I could say that it's great. Combining it with Publisher on the same website you could make a very powerful portal.

This is my issue: I'm running Preko ramena website that is online magazine with analytic content etc. Real journalism. It became very popular in my country. But I need more content and I want to add news section.

This is the problem. I have few solutions: To use existing News module. It's great but there is no url rewrite for it. I could use xNews, but I still don't get it - does it will be merged in News module or not? There is also solution to clone Publisher module - I have really good experience with it (I'm using it on more then 10 websites). The last option is to wait for fmContent/News work with url rewrite. I would rather use it because it's fast, have option to add url of the source of information etc...

All of my friends and colegues running Wordpress, but I think that Xoops is better solution. So please, we are not kids and we should stop playing :) I really like Xoops and the crew developing it.

Viva Xoops!

Mamba
  • 2012/4/11 10:00

• Mamba

Quote:
I could use xNews, but I still don't get it - does it will be merged in News module or not?

That was the original idea - to merge best features from xNews and AMS into News, and we talked about it with Voltan. But he focused now on fmContent/News, so I guess, there will be no merging, unless another developer steps up to this task.

I agree with you that Voltan's module is a cool module, and it could be the "official" replacement for all these three News modules (News, xNews, and AMS), but in order to do so, it needs to provide a clear and easy migration path for users of these modules. And to be honest, I would love to see that, so we could drop support for all the other modules, and focus only on one.

Viva XOOPS!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits