• Since: 2012/2/9 3

Thank you...

btesec
Re: Document Management Module
  • 2012/2/24 15:03

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

I think this goes more to Mamba and xoops developers: Talking Xoops mods that allow uploading of attachments, specifically pdf and similar document types; their is a need to provide a similar search functionality by using swish-e (or whatever would be the best choice) as an option. I have worked on a site that has hundreds of pdf and word docs but getting good search results is hard since most documents are not named properly to match the content of the documents.

It would be nice if xoops can adopt a search engine that can index such attachment repositories, so that users get their documents/info they are looking for much efficiently. Surely respecting all the access permissions is key so users access only what they are allowed to. I am not sure if any other CMS has this capability but will do a research. The need for an indexing engine i believe feature for a site would be on the type of content that is being aggregated to it, come site may not have the need for it, but these days most site have pdf files or similar attachments.

my two cents here. Let me know what you all think or is there any suggestion for this kind of needs.

btesec
  • 2012/2/24 15:48

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

A quick search results the following just to give a better idea of what the idea is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_management_system
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
http://plone.org/products/remote-file-index
http://plone.org/products/plone/features/old/3.0/new/full-text-indexing-of-word-and-pdf-documents
http://devnet.kentico.com/Blogs/Thomas-Robbins/February-2010/Introducing-the-Smart-Search-Engine-with-Kentico-C.aspx
http://www.netaddicts.be/articles/umbraco-and-lucenenet.aspx
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/document-indexing-for-search.aspx
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/dam/1.0.11/view/1/1/

I hope the list of links can help.

my two cents here.

btesec
  • 2012/2/24 17:27

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

reifsnyderb can we get a list of the changes/updates done for version 1.95. I am am testing now.

Thanx

reifsnyderb

Hello,

The changes I have are as follows:

Version 1.94
Added: dms_inc_functions_test() has been added to test the inclusion of inc_dms_functions.php when developing.
Added: dms_send_emai() can now be used to send an attachment that is not located in the repository.
Added: A job can now be scheduled to delete all documents in a folder.
Added: Documents can now be removed from a lifecycle.
Added: By setting a folder configuration flag, the document comments can now be displayed on the main screen.
Added: URL's can now be e-mailed.
Change: Disabled mime type determination via the "file" command, on Linux systems.
Change: The MMS integration no longer displays the standard header functions. (i.e. Import Document, Create Folder, etc.)
Change: Fixed an issue where forcing a folder to display only worked on the second attempt to display the folder.
Change: Created an object select page (obj_select.php). This page is to be used anywhere a folder or file is selected.
Change: folder_content_report.php no longer reports deleted file.
Change: The job server no longer publishes deleted files.
Change: The folder_content_report.php has been modified so that deleted files are no longer displayed.
Removed: With the exception of the main screen, the menu bar has been removed from all screens.

Version 1.93
Added: Links can be created to documents and folders. Note: This feature is currently disabled.
Added: Folder copy system for administrators.
Change: Re-wrote most of the user interface code to ease maintainablilty.

Version 1.92
Added: Created a block that contains all of the document/folder/url creation buttons.
Added: Administrators can globally change user ownership on documents. For example, if a user leaves an organization, all documents
owned by that user can be transferred to another user. Additionally, if selected, all other permissions for that user can
be deleted.
Added: Document expiration system.
Added: Properties search, for a document name, can now be initiated from a query string. Use search_prop.php?search_name=<name>
Added: Full text search can now be initiated from a query string. Use search_ft.php?search_query=<string>
Added: Document view counter has been added. This is incremented only when a document is viewed.
Added: The maximum size, of an uploaded file, is now displayed in the error message if the document was too large to upload.
Added: A time stamp is now applied when adding links to other web pages.
Added: Groups can now be e-mailed documents.
Added: URL's can now be moved and copied.
Added: Auditing information can now be displayed for folders and sub-folders, in one report.
Change: User ID's are now resolved when displaying audit logs.
Change: The document/folder/url creation buttons are now displayed at the top of almost every page.
Change: Administrators can now move or copy any and all documents, regardless of their being in a lifecycle.
Change: Left justified the Lifecycle Name and Lifecycle Stage, in file_options.php under the Information section.
Change: Job server now sorts documents correctly by FILO, when publishing documents for external display.
Change: Alphabetical document sorting is now reset when a user changes folders.
Change: Misc. minor user interface changes.
Change: Removed _binfilter.sh requirement for full text search engine and modified the swish-e.conf file.
Change: Improved the viewing of documents that do not have extensions.
Change: Permissions propagation now works in PHP 5.
Change: The ADN system has been modified such that the mask character is ignored when searching for the mask to replace.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any notes regarding the specific changes with version 1.95. I would say that adding the full text search summaries was probably the biggest change for version 1.95. But, I can't be sure if I changed anything else as it has probably been two to three years since I worked on it last.

Regards,

Brian

Quote:

btesec wrote:
reifsnyderb can we get a list of the changes/updates done for version 1.95. I am am testing now.

Thanx

reifsnyderb

Hello,

It would be great if there was such an engine that would search all modules at the same time. It would probably be pretty hard to implement, though.

The DMS module takes users permissions into account when it displays the results of a full-text search.

Regards,

Brian

Quote:

btesec wrote:
I think this goes more to Mamba and xoops developers: Talking Xoops mods that allow uploading of attachments, specifically pdf and similar document types; their is a need to provide a similar search functionality by using swish-e (or whatever would be the best choice) as an option. I have worked on a site that has hundreds of pdf and word docs but getting good search results is hard since most documents are not named properly to match the content of the documents.

It would be nice if xoops can adopt a search engine that can index such attachment repositories, so that users get their documents/info they are looking for much efficiently. Surely respecting all the access permissions is key so users access only what they are allowed to. I am not sure if any other CMS has this capability but will do a research. The need for an indexing engine i believe feature for a site would be on the type of content that is being aggregated to it, come site may not have the need for it, but these days most site have pdf files or similar attachments.

my two cents here. Let me know what you all think or is there any suggestion for this kind of needs.

reifsnyderb

Hello,

I have a hard disk ordered and will be configuring it for dual-boot in order to build a dev environment.

Regards,

Brian

Mazarin
  • 2012/2/29 17:22

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

Is there a working feature of exporting whole directories of documents?
If so, how do you do it (haven't found it)?
If not, that would be a very useful feature for the next version.

reifsnyderb

Hello,

No, there is no way to export whole directories, at this time.

Regards,

Brian

Quote:

Mazarin wrote:
Is there a working feature of exporting whole directories of documents?
If so, how do you do it (haven't found it)?
If not, that would be a very useful feature for the next version.

reifsnyderb

Hello,

The dev environment is finally created, Xoops is installed and dms is loaded.

Regards,

Brian

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits