Catzwolf
OpenID and Facebook login integration
  • 2010/7/25 5:30

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Hiya Xoopers,

One thing is clear, Xoops is clearly lacking with the ability to use OpenID and Facebook (google/yahoo etc) for login and I believe that this could easily be added to Xoops using Xoops native login (with a few minor core changes I guess).

Mainly, Xoops uses a class that could easily be extended to add new features like this and it shouldn't be that big a problem coding this once I get enough information on the subject.

Now the problem is that while I could easily code the required changes, I am not an expert in this field, but I am willing to learn and 'I need help' (lol like I haven't heard that before).

I am looking for others who have a better understanding and knowledge that could work with me to help create this for Xoops.

If you think you can help, please PM me with your expertise and how you would like to help.

I would also like to know which API's for openID would be best used etc etc.

Many thanks,

Catz

blackrx
Re: OpenID and Facebook login integration
  • 2010/7/25 9:08

• blackrx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/2/5 1

i don't have the expertise..but this thing open id and facebook connect login are long overdue for xoops

hope there will be a proper integration that really works with latest xoops

voltan
  • 2010/7/29 12:50

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

I hop it active in next versions !
2 years ago we have this news about open id :https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4270

Mamba
  • 2010/7/29 13:06

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Please submit to Feature request on SourceForge
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mazarin
  • 2010/8/21 5:57

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

Anything happening regarding this?

chefry
  • 2012/2/9 14:40

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

Did this get done?

Also, how can I integrate the FB "Like" and Tweet buttons in my forums?

I'm using CBB Version 3.08

I wouldn't mind putting them into my "Publisher" articles either :)

redheadedrod

At this point in time this has NOT been done.

2.6 alpha should be out soon but realize this version is intended to update the code base and nothing new has been added.

Once 2.6 has become a release version then upgrades to the features will commence.

As I understand it (And strongly hope) the 2.6 series will start out with major code upgrades first. Then (hopefully) the first changes will be related to making module development more standard and easier. Module developers for years have been hoping for a standardized framework and looks like we are headed that direction.

Until more developers get involved with Xoops it will likely be a while before we see some changes. Hopefully this will be one of the first ones.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

chefry
  • 2012/2/12 14:40

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

I'm not interested at all in another core

I was more interested in a module or a hack that would do it

another core is the last thing xoops needs

redheadedrod

Don't worry Chefry, 2.6 is the right direction at this time.

There is a Facebook connect module but it is not polished. It worked when I tried it but I didn't like how it worked as it wasn't tied into the user database very well.

At this time the 2.5 series is a bug fix series beyond where we are now.

I am working on some things right now and I will be providing some Hacks to add support for things to 2.5 and that may be the direction you are looking for. I will be working on something that will likely work with this but it will be a while as it is not tops on my list.

It won't take much to convert modules that work with 2.5 to work with 2.6 and it will be well worth it from what I have seen so far. As I understand it , it will be as simple as copy and replace on modules.

The current core up to 2.5 contains lot of code from the original version of Xoops and it is very out of date and was in desperate need of upgrading. Due to past "Xoops 3" failures the code base for the 2.x series has been seriously neglected over the past 5 years and the 2.6 update was seriously needed. Once 2.6 is released and fully tested you will see alot of new features added. Just as 2.3.3 needed to be upgraded to 2.4.x to be compatible with PHP5, 2.6 is finishing up the work started with the 2.4 series. Short of starting over with a new 3.0 Fork, this is the best option for the future of xoops and should set the tone for the next few years. Just have patience with this and you should be happy with the eventual results. As I already mentioned modules that currently work with 2.4.5 and 2.5.4 should work with 2.6 with minimal code change.. Likely less code will have to be changed than needs to be made to add the 2.5 admin interface.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

sadistiko
  • 2012/2/26 10:26

• sadistiko

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/12/13

So, is there any news about that?
Croatian Xoops support site:
www.xoopshr.org
Lowcost linux hosting:
www.adpgroup.hr

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits