Mamba
Conversation with XOOPS Cube about potential collaboration on X3 development
  • 2010/11/20 16:36

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

When I was in South Korea to accept the OSS award for XOOPS , I was talking to couple of Open Source developers from Japan, and they asked me why don't we join forces with XOOPS Cube (XC). By joining forces we could create a Win-Win situation for both communities and make XOOPS stronger. And I thought: "hmm, why not? Why don't we ask them?"

As some of you might remember, there were some disagreements in 2005 between XOOPS core developers at that time and the Japanese users/developers about XOOPS not addressing their requirements (like multibyte support), and as a result XOOPS Cube was born as a fork of XOOPS.

It's important to know that nobody from the current XOOPS Core developers was involved in this disagreement, so when XOOPS got reorganized end of 2007, we've tried very hard to re-build a good relationship with Onokazu, who we totally respect as the XOOPS founder. We were quite successful, because he accepted our invitation to our XOOPS Advisory Board, and he actually tested 2.5.0 and submitted several bugs

So few days ago I asked Kilica, one of the main developers, about potential collaboration on X3. Since X3 is in Alpha, this is the best time to talk about it, because if we decide to collaborate, there is enough time to think about required features that would make migration of XC users to X3 easier. Kilica suggested that we start a discussion on their forums about it, which we did:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xoopscube/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=242&start=0

http://www.xugj.org/modules/d3forum/index.php?topic_id=1074

http://www.xugj.org/modules/d3forum/index.php?topic_id=1078

As you can see from the links above, we have an ongoing discussion there, and as Minahito stated:

Quote:
Basically I and kilica feel this proposal interesting.

which is very encouraging!

Kilica even translated the X3 Diagram into Japanese which was very nice of him!

Those of you who followed XC development, know that there is a lot of great talent in Japan, and I strongly believe that by working together and supporting each other, both our communities will benefit.

But as Minahito stated, he doesn't see any official "merger". We'll present X3 there and individual developers from Japan will decide if they would like to join XOOPS and contribute. And as he also correctly pointed out in his messages, there are cultural differences, and it will take some time to get to know each other and learn how to work together.

However, I am very happy and excited that we are having this conversation, that there are developers in Japan who are considering to contribute to X3, and that we might have an opportunity to celebrate next year the 10th Anniversary of XOOPS together as one XOOPS family!

X3 is our most significant development in years that will help to push XOOPS to the top, and DJ did a terrific job with it, but we need to build a momentum to take advantage of this window of opportunity.

I hope that X3 will be the bridge to bring XOOPS and XC developers back together, and that we as a community will extend our warm welcome to any of the XC developers who will decide to collaborate with us on X3.

Viva XOOPS!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

aitor
Re: Conversation with XOOPS Cube about potential collaboration on X3 development
  • 2010/11/20 18:51

• aitor

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

I am sure that i am not who must speak as i don't know about xoops cube until now, but as i can understand for your conversation mamba.

1.- Look as Xoops cube comunity was created by something like this, multibyte support could be?, as i understand Xoops acept loss users that don't like zend to open xoops to people that want zend.

Quote:
With X3 some people might not like Zend Framework and they might be less envolved, but on the other hand we might gain some new Zend developers who will join XOOPS. We will definitely promote XOOPS within the Zend community :)

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xoopscube/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=242&start=0#p739

2.- I was not very integrated in xops from 2.0 to 2.4, i was back with 2.4 and really happy to have 2.5 and thinking in what could be made with x3.

What i could recomend is to take time to make x3, better speak with xoops cube comunity and not thinking in the zend comunity users.

Sorry, my bad english but hope that could be understand the idea,.

Note: Is the x3 proyect stopped, or is hidden again?, any of both options are bad but would know of they is, two weeks without file changes.

Mamba
Re: Conversation with XOOPS Cube about potential collaboration on X3 development
  • 2010/11/20 23:06

• Mamba

Quote:
What i could recomend is to take time to make x3, better speak with xoops cube comunity and not thinking in the zend comunity users.

We want to invite everybody to collaborate on X3. Anybody who wants to help make XOOPS move forward, is welcome to join

The most important thing is to ensure migration path for current users of XOOPS, and if XC developers embrace X3, then also for XC users.

By working together we can make it happen

Quote:
Note: Is the x3 proyect stopped, or is hidden again?, any of both options are bad but would know of they is, two weeks without file changes.

DJ is working on some optimization, but he is doing it in his free time - please remember: he has a regular job and a family

The X3 code is out there for everybody to experiment and explore. Please submit any bugs to our Trac on SourceForge
Support XOOPS => DONATE

phppp
  • 2010/11/21 2:33

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

XoopsEngine (or X3) related topics are discussed on sourceforge before X3 site is setup.

My response to ZendFramework related questions:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xoops/forums/forum/1280117/topic/3954860

bumciach
  • 2010/11/22 11:52

• bumciach

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/6/25

Great news! I have looked into XopsCube some time ago. I remember that there was some interesting ideas and I wished to see the merge of both those comunities somedays. So I think cooperation X3 and XC could bring a lot of positives.

Zend is also good direction. ZF is one of the best known and quite advanced php frameworks.

iHackCode

I hope something can be worked out with the XOOPS
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Balzac
  • 2010/12/29 9:06

• Balzac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/1/11

Any further news on this?

Mamba
  • 2010/12/29 9:15

• Mamba

Not at the moment.

We had some discussions on their forums, and the recommendation was that we keep informing the Japanese community about our activities and progress, but due to the nature of their organization (total freedom and anarchy), they encourage their individual members to explore XOOPS and see if they would like to use it and contribute.

Important thing is that we have this communication channel now open and can reach out to them and keep the dialog going. I had few good exchanges, and we hope for more in 2011

Once X3 is successfully thriving, it will be easier to have more conversation.

Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits