Peekay
Re: Repeated module incompatibility with xoops upgrades
  • 2010/8/21 21:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@BeautyBrains

You are quite right that a Xoops module that is supposed to be already updated to work with Xoops 2.4.4 shouldn't be on a 'Blue Move' page, but where is this page? I know there is a new forum for Blue Move stuff, but I couldn't see a module list there.

The Xoops project does need feedback from users to catch issues that may not be immediately obvious on initial installation. For example, a problem with a feature that only kicks in after 100 items are added is not going to be spotted by someone checking to see if the module installs properly with a particular version of Xoops.

I once found a module that worked perfectly if you left the layout prefs to use a default 3-column layout, but if you selected 4 columns it failed. Checking all the possible permutations isn't really feasible without a structured beta-testing programme.

Of course, the whole idea of open-source software development is that the developers produce the modules for free and the community beta tests for free. That's the deal. If the devs get feedback they'll fix the problems and you get a great module for no cost. If not... well you get a module with bugs.

Having said that, the core team also have a responsibility to keep the community informed about the changes they make to Xoops that might affect how legacy applications operate. That information is seriously lacking at present and it hinders the progress of the module upgrade initiatives.

If Xoops wants to retain a competitive standing against other CMS solutions then the people who really know how it works need to start sharing some of their knowledge. The more contributions to the Blue Move forum and the new WIKI that I believe readheadedrod is working on, the more chance end users will have of putting together a site that works out of the box.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Mamba
  • 2010/8/22 4:05

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I asked Mamba earlier, " Now in terms of helping to update the mod list, by compatible what do you mean becasue if you are on the letter L, how do you explain that in CBB the welcome forum page does not work? I needed that feature! I left xforum because CBB was supposed to be compatible... For me compatible means every single function in module works with whatever version of xoops I am referencing; nothing less." Mamba still has not responded to this question;

Sorry for missing this question. Yes, that's what "compatible" should mean.

Quote:
Rodney's response was awesome for additional information and will be used by me going forward however it did not answer the question that I originally asked, "why does the corrected list contain errors?"

Right now I am only correcting links, making sure that they point to the right files on SourceForge. The only list of module compatibility is done by Burning, and part of the XOOPS Resource Book.

Quote:
... and as you have now pointed out your mod is on a list that is should not be on...

Well, the list is just a general idea to make sure that modules work on 2.3.x and now on 2.4.x. As we stated in the news about new Blue logo: "We would like to see all the XOOPS modules that have been successfully tested for XOOPS 2.3, to change their logos to the new look, so our users know that a particular module will work in 2.3."

The Blue Move was just an extension of this idea focusing originally on the "Classical Modules", but currently including all modules that are being tested/refactored to work on XOOPS 2.4.x. As said there: "We hope that other module developers will follow suit"

Quote:
xoops you may not realize it but you are taking two steps forward and ten steps back at every turn; you are doing a whole lot of listening but you are not HEARING what is being asked of you from your membership / users; if you do not hear what is being asked then you can not EFFICIENTLY respond to their needs...

Believe it or not, we do listen to you and we do hear what you're saying! That doesn't mean that we're able to do everything at once. Everything is question of time and resources, and therefore we need to prioritize things. And sometimes some developers make mistakes, and we have to go back and correct them.

The key is to remember that XOOPS is not a company that you buy a product from, but an Open Source project, which is depending on the support from the community. The more each of us give back to the project, the more successful XOOPS will become. We need to help each other within our set of skills/capabilities.

Latest example - Rodney jumped in and gave an excellent answer to you question. That frees me to do other things for the project. If somebody can write a tutorials for a new modules, that will free the developer to do other things, etc. It's all about helping each other in order to make XOOPS more successful.

And the most important thing to remember - we're all volunteers, and are doing it for the love of XOOPS in our free time. We have our jobs, our families, our friends - but we are still trying to find the time to contribute to the project. Sometimes this is forgotten and not appreciated!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

BeautyBrains

Mamba thank you for responding:
There is a current migration taking place from xoops to joomla, wordpress and other CMS as I am sure you are aware; it is because of the very issues that I raised in this posting.

Your statement, "The key is to remember that XOOPS is not a company that you buy a product from, but an Open Source project, which is depending on the support from the community. The more each of us give back to the project, the more successful XOOPS will become. We need to help each other within our set of skills/capabilities. "

Please note that it is irrelevant as to whether xoops is a multimillion dollar corporation or a free CMS I pulled out of a Cracker Jack box; there are hundreds if not thousands of open source projects on the internet and not one CMS, has such a negative history and an ongoing cycle of redundancy within its community like that of xoops.

It is clear to me that I will continue to be provided with backhanded explanations / apologies; I hold no grudges and will continue to use xoops and as soon as I am able I will donate to xoops because after all, xoops has provided me with a free website software. Would I recommend it or sing its praises? Absolutely not; not at this juncture.

Any who, I don't go around in circles and we have just made full lap in this discussion; this is where I get off.

Thank you to everyone that responded; much appreciated.
-T
A man without history is like a tree without roots. Marcus Garvey (1917)http://CaribbeanAncestry.comhttp://JamaicaGenealogy.comhttp://thephilosophizers.com Teach what you know and learn what you don't; stay open to all. 24/7

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits