Peekay
Re: Repository Module
  • 2010/6/17 2:41

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I think your work on the repository is extremely valuable, because without modules the next version of Xoops will be nothing more than an academic achievement.

I have whinged about this already

The nature of open source development makes it difficult, if not impossible, to offer any guarantees as to whether a module will work or not. There's only so much information you can give.

For example, Xoops, PHP and MySQL versions - I would LOVE to know that information, but unless it is specified by the developer, I would leave that info blank. Likewise, I would certainly not include a link to the 'authors' website unless you can confirm that the module is actively supported by that person.

The classifications sound good to me. Go for it!
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

ghia
  • 2010/6/17 8:18

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

The current repository is many times referenced from within articles and forum posts and even more from the internet. Moving and changing the modules will cause thousands of invalidated and broken links.
So, try to use the current categories and add where needed.

Burning
  • 2010/6/17 8:48

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

Thanks for responses :)

If we kept same module, paradoxically it will take longer:
1 • we need a developer to improve the module used.
2 • we will have to correct and we have to move* dozens of descriptions

we have to move*. Why ? :
- as you can see in my last post, a lot of modules are not at the right place. They are in a main category
- for some modules, order is not consistent. For example, there is sub-category called News... what we can find inside ? Only several version of News module. In my opinion this kind of category should not exist
- for other modules, a new category could be created. Example : there are 30 items into Audio / Video category. Too much I think : two categories (Audio and Video) would be better

Difficult to find a good solution. Imperatives are :
• make it easy for users
• make it easy for admins we will maintain repository up to date
• do not break links in forum and for google

... if someone finds a solution to reconcile all these imperatives, I think it could be a nominee for the Nobel

Still learning CSS and... english

Peekay
  • 2010/6/17 12:03

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

I agree with Burning that proper categorisation is preferable to supporting old links. I would perhaps change the 'not found' message from

Quote:
This download does not exist

to

Quote:
This download may have been moved, please search the repository

but if the categories are well organised, the module (or a newer version) should not be hard to find.

Some modules have a pref to force selection of a sub-cat if they exist, but I don't know if that is possible. It is important really, otherwise things will soon get messy again.

Whatever happens, I do think that the sub-categories need to be more prominent in the main category. For example, 'Date and Time' has 16 modules, but only 5 are visible when the main category is selected. Although the drop-down menu for sub-categories is there, it would be better labeled as 'Sub Categories' IMHO.

Burning
  • 2010/6/21 13:39

• Burning

• Theme Designer

hi'

thanks Peekay for response :)

---

I have to know :

1 • if description page is correct, if there is something else to add / or something to delete ?

2 • if we could improve Categories and sub-categories organization ?

---

I'm sorry to ask you to please hurry but for now I'm stuck with description page (categories are less important for moment), I can not move. I will work on it at the end of the week : without response I will create desciption pages like this one.
(download link)

I have added :
• license information : GPL for all (except for commercial modules, put in a specific category)
• a chapter (bottom page) for developers, to download old versions. It would be a direct link... The goal is to propose one page per module and not - as it is today - many description pages for the same module. I believe it is important to have one id for each module (at least to make repository more clear)

---

About old repository issue, I think we could keep it on line but
• close comments feature by a message like this "Please go to new repository, and see module page"
• delete this module in Xoops.org global search function

so google will stay happy with xoops.org.

Thanks for any opinion / idea

Peekay
  • 2010/6/21 14:05

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Description page looks fine to me.

Although as said before, I wouldn't 'guess' what PHP version is required. If the release notes don't say, I would leave that blank.

To make things easier in the future, I would definitely hack the module so that new submissions must be placed into a sub-category. Or, I would do-away with sub-cats altogether and just have a list of categories. You wind up with the same number of cats at the end of the day.

Mamba
  • 2010/6/21 14:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
• license information : GPL for all (except for commercial modules, put in a specific category)

all XOOPS modules (incl. commercial modules) have to be under GPL, since they are "derivative work" of XOOPS
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Burning
  • 2010/6/21 15:27

• Burning

• Theme Designer

Thanks for responses

@peekay : this page is only a model, a typical page. A lot of module will not have all these informations displayed.

If we can't find information, it will not appear at all or just like this :
• PHP Version : unknow

About categories (it is just my opinion), I think sub categories are necessary :
• it would be helpful for users
• list displayed on the home page will be lighter

... other opinions about this point would be welcome. Also about categories / sub-categories names.

---

@Mamba : you are right, and this is really important !

All modules present in repository will have the same information :
• License : GPL

And if developer wants to inform users about some restrictions (about distribution, not about code himself), he could put it in module description page...

Peekay
  • 2010/6/21 15:34

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Yes, I think Xoops.org should have a clear FAQ about that.

The premise is that Xoops is distributed under GPL and any code that interacts with it must be made available under GPL too. This applies to both modules and themes.

As far as I know, although developers are free to create commercial modules, they cannot prevent a buyer from modifying the source code and re-distributing or re-selling the module, provided the original developer's credits remain intact in the code.

I believe that if you wrote a bespoke Javascript for a module you could make that component subject to a different licence. Likewise you could copyright any original artwork created for a theme. However, I think the GPL requires that you make those conditions clear to potential users or buyers.

Ultimately, a user would be free to replace the javascript or artwork with something similar under the terms of the GPL.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

Mamba is our GPL champion. If I have got anything wrong I'm sure he'll put me right!

sailjapan

Would it be possible (desirable?) to have each of the info sections - Function, Blocks available, Installation notes, etc - set up as collapsible fields in order to maintain a consistent visual impression when viewing these pages? Maybe with a 'Read more' button following a very short - one line or two at most - description.

I ask as I can imagine trying to maintain a clean visual presentation of all this info is going to be a headache. If the fields arbitrarily cut off anything over 200chars (or whatever the number may be) it would probably be much easier to 'flick' through when looking for a module...

Just my ¥2
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits