ndial
Re: Module text-mod ability
  • 2003/4/14 13:39

• ndial

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/3 1

I second that Jeremy, I've already got it "coded" in my head, and now it's just waiting for another weekend if you don't beat me to it. (unless I can figure out a way to make it billable this week Hmm, seriously that might be a possibility )

Probably (hopefully) shouldn't get added until at least after 2.0 goes gold. I've been told that there's already a feature freeze in preparation for such.

regen_r8
  • 2003/4/14 13:53

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

CoolPops and Ndial,

You guys have lots of ambition... Great ideas.

It would be cool if this could be done as a post editor "plug-in". If the XOOPS core allowed a module to register a plug-in to the to post editor for exactly this reason.

This would be a powerful way to extend the system. But definitely not for X2. Would be a core hack in X2.

supernix
Re: Bible in SQL
  • 2003/4/14 14:20

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

Ok now yall have my full attention.
I have been waiting for something like a Bible module to popup. I have been wanting it bad but dont know anything about PHP programming.

I have been using the PNbible with Postnuke. And the fact they had a Bible module is one of the reasons I have been still tied to Postnuke. That and the fact that once you log into postnuke you can tell it to remember your login and log you in each time you visit the site.

I have the Bible module on my sitehttp://www.dnspad.com/

I had thought about talking to Coolpop and seeing if I could beg him to do something like that for Xoops. But looks like he has already found his own motivation I cant wait to see what yall come up with.

I just thought of something also. There is a tool called the Bible Import Tool and it is made for importing Bibles for use with the E-Sword program. But I bet you could import the Bibles to a file you could use as well.
As I recall the E-Sword program uses Access databases which I know can be changed into MySQL databases :)
10:50am 4-14-03
I just found thishttp://www.kitebird.com/mysql-cookbook/mcb-kjv/mcb-kjv.zip from what I read it is the KJV in SQL I hope this helps everyone.

ndial
  • 2003/4/14 15:08

• ndial

• Just popping in

That is some very useful information, supernix. I can't wait to crack open a few Access databases and get into that creamy SQL goodness! Also, that's a nice site! I can tell you've put a lot of time into it.

I've got my Bible-verse-popup thing hacked into the core onhttp://xoops.nathandial.com but it's got a bug in the DHTML that makes the popups look wrong. There are only 3 new lines in the module.textsanitizer.php with the rest in an include file, and I think--though I haven't tried it yet--that it is a "close enough" hack that CVS could still merge basic updates to textsanitizer automatically. Once I've got some time (probably this evening) to get my code presentable (take out the leet-speak comments, etc.), I'll share it with anybody who's interested. (particularly if those interested somebody's can fix my DHTML bug )

As far as the core-mod-for-modular-extension-to-post-editor thing goes, that is kind of complicated, but not a HUGE change, since the structure is already in place for that type of modification (i.e. modules extending functionality of part of the core.) As far as all those mod ideas I had, I didn't say I was going to do all of them, just that they're the type of things that people might like to do with such a feature. Taking the idea further, it might be possible to make the comment editor itself a set of interchangeable modules in such a system. (Not that that'd be a good idea, just one of many possibilities.)

regen_r8
  • 2003/4/14 16:51

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Cool hack.

noticed that it works on the default theme and the phpkaox theme but not the x2t theme.

What exactly do you think is wrong with the DHTML - other than the goofy grape ape color, it doesn't look that bad to me.

Nice Job!! Plus I really enjoyed your bible discussion forum humor.

ndial
  • 2003/4/14 18:11

• ndial

• Just popping in

Well, it may look right in IE, but it doesn't in Mozilla. I haven't looked at it in IE. Didn't think about it when I was at home, and my laptop doesn't have Windows on it. The reason it only works for the default and phpaox themes is I edited those two's templates to include the javascript file that does the popups--three or four lines of changes. I didn't get around to editing the x2t theme.

supernix
  • 2003/4/15 0:55

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

Hmmmm I tried IE6 and Mozilla 1.3 and it looked great in both. Excellent piece of work.

http://www.dnspad.com/

I have not tried Opera yet but I have the latest version of it as well.

ndial
  • 2003/4/15 14:24

• ndial

• Just popping in

Well, in my browsers (Moz 1.1, IE 5, Konqueror) it did this thing where the popup text went to the edge of the screen, and it resized when you moved your mouse around. I did a little more hacking on the DHTML part of it and now at least in Moz it does what I want, it has a fixed-size popup message. I also fixed the goofy grape-ape color . (Only works right now with the phpkaox theme)

Last night I also worked some on the hack that I mentioned, that would allow for modules to offer text-modification functions. I think I've "got it" or at least something that will do it but of course until I've set up a module that offers text-modification I can't see if it works. I decided to make a module out of the little bible-verse-popup script that has a simple, boring page of some sort and provides the text-mod functions--that way maybe it will be a little easier for people who aren't me to install it. The core mod in its current iteration will require a new include file and 3 new lines in module.textsanitizer.php, and maybe a DB table modification, but I think I can work around that at the expense of a little efficiency. If my wife doesn't beat me for programming all evening again tonight, I'll probably have something to show in the morning.

eggmcmuffin

Renders good in Opera 7.01, too.

Are you all christians? God bless you!
I'ts a surprise for me read this thread. Count with me for testng purposes and spanish translating.
I'm migrating a christina site to Xoops.

Mario.

ndial
Re: Enhancing the built in editor
  • 2003/4/16 15:21

• ndial

• Just popping in

OK, I've got a core hack that provides this* up athttp://www.nathandial.com/dl/externalTextmod.tar.gz

I have only tested it with toy hacks, because my module-ified bible script makes PHP timeout when it's adding the database. But it looks at least workable. It really wasn't much code, only about 25 lines plus the comments.

edit: *that is, provides modules the ability to add text-modification functions, not that provides the Bible lookup stuff.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits