barryc
transparency and MSIE
  • 2009/10/21 18:03

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I did a search for this but didn't find an answer.

I am having a problem with Internet Explorer's inadequate handling of transparency on web pages. In particular, I use the zen-ocean theme on http://www.aka.org. For forms the background color of elements like drop down selections is set to transparent. In IE when one clicks to choose the background color of teh drop down shows as white rather than the corect blue background, which means you see white text on a white background, with obvious difficulties. When the user drags down, the text appears correctly for the individual choices.

I had the same problem with transparency in iFrames but by including the phrase 'allowtransparency="true"' in the iframe code and by making sure the html page header was correct i.e.

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"         "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">

I got those to work.

So, my question is, can anyone suggest a way to force IE to respect transparency in these forms? I use xforms and the site is running under XOOPS 2.3.3

barryC

culex
Re: transparency and MSIE
  • 2009/10/21 20:10

• culex

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/23

Using fireBug I get this for styling on the fish theme from aka.com

in newbb.css (line 184)

div.dropdown .menudiv.dropdown .menubardiv.dropdown .itemdiv.dropdown .separator {
background-color:#436792;
color:#FFFFFF;
}

Try to see if you have the same value here or what happens if you change background-color, color to something else

barryc
  • 2009/10/22 1:53

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I think I was wrong to blame this on the transparency attribute. The CSS for the theme calls for white text on a transparent (blue) background. When the user mouses over the select box it should show black text on white. Clicking shows the drop down with all choices black on white, except the selected one, which is white on a blue (not transparent).

In IE the select box shows white text on transparent (ie the blue of the background) but when one mouses over it still shows white on blue. Clicking causes the drop down to appear but text is white on white. As you drag down the selections, the correct white on blue shows.

The CSS is correctly interpreted in Firefox and other browsers I've tested.

The problem, therefore, appears to be that IE is not recognizing or rendering the CSS to show the drop down as black on white, specifically, it's not showing the black text.

I can let you look at the page if you wish. I'd have to give you a temporary user name as the page is not yet public.

[Edit] Well, I changed background-color transparent to background-color #113e8f and the drop downs in IE now appear as white on that blue background. In Firefox they still appear as black on a white background, with the selected one being white on a blue (not the blue I chose for the background color). So, now at least the choices can be read on IE as well as other browsers. I hate IE. It's still not interpreting the CSS correctly.

barryC

culex
  • 2009/10/22 19:26

• culex

• Module Developer

Well looking throught the forms.css file I find a parse error that might through IE of a little

I dont really understand wich is the correct line to use, as both line 57 and 47 define select, select[name=xoops_theme_select but I think maybe line 47 is the one ment to be used.... so

change Line 57 from

*selectselect[name=xoops_theme_select]:hover {

color :                         #333;

background-color:         #fff;

to

/*select, select[name=xoops_theme_select]:hover {
    color :                         #333;
    background-color:         #fff;*/

and see if this clears up the bug.

barryc
  • 2009/10/27 19:12

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for looking at that. I also noticed that duplication of the select definition and I did not understand what the * before one of them signified. You are probably right that it is commenting out that line. I'll try it.

Sorry to be late replying but I've been out of town. I'll let you know what happens.

barryC

culex
  • 2009/10/27 19:45

• culex

• Module Developer

Sometimes the asterix(*) is used as a css hack targeting Ie 6 to make it skip the line where the '*' is present. Only it's a tricky hack and sometimes does not get skipped.

W3c finds the asterix to be parsing false so posible browsers do too and this is causig the error :)

barryc
  • 2009/10/28 1:01

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I tried commenting out that second definition of select. It did not fix the problem, so I've gone back to using a defined blue color. It's a shame, because I'd like to use the transparent background.

It is odd, because the text and text area fields are defined as having transparent background and behave correctly in IE8. It is only the select fields that are not. If you'd like to see this, I have a duplicate of my live site where I could give you access. Let me know if that would help.

I think there must be an error in the CSS for select unless IE somehow doesn't interpret the CSS for select correctly, but does for text and text area. That seems unlikely. I will have to closely compare the CSS is forms.css for text and textarea compared to select.

Barry

culex
  • 2009/10/28 7:15

• culex

• Module Developer

Sure I'll have a look to see if I can help. Just pm me the link if you dont want to post here :)

Login

Who's Online

290 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 290

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits