Dataguru
Controlling forum permissions
  • 2009/4/22 15:08

• Dataguru

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/1/8 1

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this. If not, please move it.

I'm running XOOPS 2.3.2
NewBB (CBB) 3.08

We had our first spammer show up on our forum and I need to implement a way for the forum moderators to either set spammers to nopost or to be reviewed. The only way I can see to do that is to create two groups in xoops. one with forum permissions set the same as a registered user, but with the review post option selected. and set the locked group to not being able to post, edit or delete. I think those groups could be used to keep them from posting spam in other modules as well. but that would mean giving forum moderators the ability to edit users which I'm not totally comfortable with.

Is that the best solution or is there another I'm missing?

Thanks,
Betty

ghia
Re: Controlling forum permissions
  • 2009/4/22 16:37

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Forum moderators have to delete the SPAM posts or move the thread to a closed (for the public) part of the forum.
This way your forum is clean.
They pm then the administrator to ban the user. The administrator will also check regulary the new posts in the closed forum and check the deleted messages and ban the found users.
This is not an urgent task because the spammer is already gone and will not return the same day.
(Even if you would ban him when he is busy, you can't force the new permissions on him until he gets logged out and has to log in again)
So, no need to give user changing rights to the forum moderators.

Dataguru
  • 2009/4/23 1:53

• Dataguru

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/1/8 1

Interesting. so in that scheme, I can't use the remember me option at login?

ghia
  • 2009/4/23 4:36

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I'm not sure. I think you can, because I assume the remember me is only a kind of automatic login.
You have to test it by logging in a test user with the remember me. Then alter his group, so he has no longer access to eg the forum. When the session time is over, check the test users privileges. (You have probably to use two computers or browsers to test this).

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits