barryc
Cloning & deleting templates
  • 2009/4/10 6:28

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have recently updated a 2.2.4 site to 2.3.3 and seem to be generating a lot of questions.

This time I have a question about templates. I have cloned the default template but when I look in the template manager I see only the default and a very old one. The newly cloned template sets do not show up. They do show in the General Preferences page, where they can be set to be used. Shouldn't they also show in the Template Manager?

Also, how do I delete a cloned template? For example, I would like to delete the very old one, as many modules have been changed since then. I could delete them in the database but I would think there's a better way than that.

Finally, to update a cloned template set on a live site is it recommended to just turn on the automatic update temporarily while the changes are made? When modules are added or deleted what is the best procedure?

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

deka87
Re: Cloning & deleting templates
  • 2009/4/10 11:54

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

faced this problem too. look what i did. i went to the phpmyadmin interface and found a table for templates (dont remember how it's called). then you click like "view" and you see both your default and new templates shown. your problem is that you had a clonned template set before upgarding. all you need to do for now is to delete all the templates but the default one using the phpmyadmin interface. then you'll be able to clone templates alright. as in regard to new modules. when a new module is installed you go to your cloned template set and click "generate". this is it. good luck.
Mind anchors

barryc
  • 2009/4/10 15:11

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Yes, I looked at the tables in phpMyAdmin. There are actually two tables, I will delete the records for all but the default and try cloning again. By the way, the old clone was one done a few years ago well before I upgrade to 2.3.3.

I am always a little reluctant to work directly on the database in case I do something irretrievable but I'll take a deep breath and do it.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

ghia
  • 2009/4/10 15:48

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Always take a backup before!

barryc
  • 2009/4/10 17:29

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Yes, of course, and I did so. There are actually three tables for templates in the db. I was able to delete the records for old templates in tplfile and tplset. tplsource contains the source code for the various templates and it would have been very difficult to identify and remove the right ones. Apparently it is not necessary as deleting the appropriate records in the other tables, then updating the system module, fixed the problem. I am not sure if the update was necessary but did it anyway.

BC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits