burfodus
GPL licence - competing sites?
  • 2009/3/25 7:15

• burfodus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/2 1

Hi guys, im building a module to display sporting results, draws, player stats etc.

I have no problems offering it to the xoops/world community to use for their sites about different sports. However im concerned if someone uses my module to make a competing site to mine ie same sport.

Is there a way to offer it on a restricted licence or something to that effect, so it can be not allowed to be used for a site in the same topic/sport?

steve.
XOOPS Version - XOOPS 2.3.2
PHP Version - 5.2.6
MySQL Version - 5.0.67-community
Server API Version - apache2handler
OS Version - WINNT

Mamba
Re: GPL licence - competing sites?
  • 2009/3/25 9:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

No, GPL cannot restrict anybody from creating a competitive site.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

ghia
  • 2009/3/25 10:08

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

XOOPS modules should always be distributed under GPL. However, you are not obliged to pass on your original work or modifications of one.
If you do, under the GPL, you can not make restrictions about the use of your program. The users of your program are free to do with whatever they want.

I don't know which country or sport you are aiming for.
But as a side note, I must say that in many countries the results are the copyright of the league itself. So you must have permission to publish them. The same goes for pictures, audio or video from games during the competition of that league.

burfodus
  • 2009/3/25 12:06

• burfodus

• Just popping in

depends i guess on the sport, for professional sporting results, i would say there is no copyright as such, how many football results sites are there.

I have permission from the world body to republish news and results from their site, and there is another site that already publishes the results after obtaining them from the world body.
the sport im aiming at is cuesports (snooker particularly) the worldsnooker site and other site im referring to are not very easy to navigate or get inforamtion from. the other site however,http://www.global-snooker.com/ would be the main competitor, and this is primarily updated by one person, who would benefit greatly by the module im creating. hence my concern.

tis a shame, would like to offer it to others to be used for other sports, maybe I can send it to people on a request basis.

sb..
PHP Version - 5.2.6
OS Version - WINNT

ghia
  • 2009/3/25 13:25

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

It all depends on countries and leagues.

I would not overrate the benefit for them. As the other site is not using XOOPS, but something with asp, it will be a major conversion to use your module as is or a lot of effort to translate it to their cms, comparable to getting the idea of what you are doing by visiting your site and then program it on their own. I suggest to use the most out of the XOOPS api with blocks, module handler, xoopsform, smarty templates, etc

burfodus
  • 2009/3/26 6:29

• burfodus

• Just popping in

thanks Ghia , you seem to help me out alot on here.

Nice Work!

sb..
PHP Version - 5.2.6
OS Version - WINNT

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits