applaud
I may have done a silly thing
  • 2009/3/10 14:21

• applaud

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/13

I'm using XOOPS as a class website with very young children - 6 & 7 year olds.

When they are working at writing things in various modules (posting comments etc) they take a very long time.
By the time they press the submit button for their work they've been logged out and they losed their work. (The session time was set at 15 minutes by default)

I had the brainwave of setting the session time at a longer period of time like 60 minutes. So I did.

Now I read this in the FAQs

You can set the session length in the system admin -> general settings -> preferences page, but I'd like to add a note of caution. Since XOOPS uses a database for its sessions, keeping them alive for a long time will limit the number of users you can have on a site, as the available connections to the database aren't cleaned up when people leave. This will eventually clog the database, and thus the site.

Reference (Herko- forum aswer)

and sure enough I can log in but the site just keeps reloading the front page.

Hmmm - is there a short answer for this? Does the problem sound like the site is "clogged". Will it unclog if I just wait?

Andrew

Catzwolf
Re: I may have done a silly thing
  • 2009/3/10 14:28

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I would tend to actually ignore that.

From what you are talking about I don't think you have 1000's of users using the web application at the same time? Correct?

From what you are describing, this could actually be a server configuration issue and I would discuss this with who ever deals with the server that XOOPS is installed on.

Plus I would check the php error logs, database logs to see if there is anything there that might give a clue to why it is taking so long and killing the session.

Catz

applaud
  • 2009/3/10 22:32

• applaud

• Just popping in

Quote:

catzwolf_ wrote:
I would tend to actually ignore that.

From what you are talking about I don't think you have 1000's of users using the web application at the same time? Correct?

From what you are describing, this could actually be a server configuration issue and I would discuss this with who ever deals with the server that XOOPS is installed on.

Plus I would check the php error logs, database logs to see if there is anything there that might give a clue to why it is taking so long and killing the session.

Catz

It's actually instantaneous - you log ion on the front page, the "Thankyou for logging in" page comes up and it then dumps you back to the front page.

I tried logging in then entering the URL for other pages and got a "You are not authorised..." message.

The site was working fine at 1.00pm yesterday (and has worked perfectly on that server for 12 months.)

I changed the session log out time in general preferences and (since the thing said that this only works if I enable session id) clicked yes on "enable session thingy" (the technical stuff isn't my strong point)

After that no-one could log in. Or rather they could log in, get welcomed and then not be allowed in.

I'll check the php logs and the database.

zyspec
  • 2009/3/11 2:32

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

What version of XOOPS are you using? If I recall there was a problem with sessions in one of the previous versions. I remember something with regenerateID and sessions not being cleared correctly.

applaud
  • 2009/3/11 3:17

• applaud

• Just popping in

Xoops version 2.0.x - can't recall exactly because I can't get to the administrator section of the site.

ghia
  • 2009/3/11 11:19

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Your XOOPS version is in /include/version.php and you may try this.

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/11 11:38

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

If you have access to phpMyAdmin you can manually edit these values back to their originals and hopefully get you back into your website.

Always create a backup of your XOOPS database before you start manually editing it. That way you can restore it if something terrible happens.

1. Open phpMyAdmin and locate the database you are using for your website (The Name you used when installing Xoops)
2. When you have located this database, find a table that ends with 'config' in the lefthand window. (for example if your XOOPS database prefix is 'xoops_', then the table will look like 'xoops_config'.)
3. Once you have completed the previous step, in the main window click on the 'Browser Tab'.
4. Look down the table for a fields and change the values to the ones below:
'session_expire' = 15,
'session_name' = xoops_session,
'use_mysession' = 0

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I would suggest that ask someone who has a little more knowledge dealing with phpMyAdmin.

This may help you get back into your website, but if it doesn't, come back and we will help you a little further.

applaud
  • 2009/3/11 13:54

• applaud

• Just popping in

Catzwolf - "use_mysession" had a value of 1. Changed it and all is well - back in and we have happy six year olds.

Thanks for your help.

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/11 14:02

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Yeah, we must keep the little terrors...erm...I mean 6 year olds happy :)

How is your loading issues? Has there been any change there?

applaud
  • 2009/3/11 14:28

• applaud

• Just popping in

At this stage I'm saying "Problem solved" -until the next one!

Thanks for the help

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits