ghia
Re: w3c compliance
  • 2008/11/20 16:49

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Well, here is already one problem solved:
Template /modules/system/system_block_mainmenu.html is used more then once and so is the id mainmenu. Change the id tag to class or name.
This should be done for all templates that are used or can be used more than once.

ianez
  • 2008/11/20 19:37

• ianez

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/1/26

@sailjapan
keeping a community which support XOOPS in Italy, of more than 5000 users, and actvely working in XOOPS code evolution (as far as I can).. so I think at the moment I'm just volunteering enough

@ghia
in the normal XOOPS use that template is used just once... where did you saw it?
things just change if you use the clone feature in XOOPS 2.3.x or if you're using the multimenu blocks which repeat this ID in any default menĂ¹ block.. as you just said in most cases it's just a problem of module developing.

Ian

vamptrix
  • 2008/11/20 21:15

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

I don't think it's a good idea to force theme developers to follow this: many old themes will be trashed, as well as some new ones, and most theme designers would have to update their themes to the W3C validation - which can take ages - and this would stop new themes.

I do care about W3C validation - my new website which I'm making at the moment is fully passes the validation on every page (http://www.vampiretrix.com/index.html ,http://www.vampiretrix.com/xoops.html,http://www.vampiretrix.com/ie6.html are already on, all of these pass the test).
I've put time into making it fully validate, I even used other YouTube tags...
I used to use this account, but no longer.

ghia
  • 2008/11/20 21:45

• ghia

Quote:
where did you saw it?
On this page (you are looking at it!)!
Quote:
I don't think it's a good idea to force theme developers to follow this: many old themes will be trashed, as well as some new ones, and most theme designers would have to update their themes to the W3C validation - which can take ages - and this would stop new themes.
Most things are simple and easy! Some older themes can stay as they are, but if they get updated, why not take a look at compliance?
Module and theme developers should always strive to compliance.

And the there is always the user, who can spoil it! This page is no exception. The custom block "Powered by" added his share of faults.
Eg. by not providing an alt tag or closing tags.

BTW Shouldn't there be a link to the GPL in this block?

Mamba
  • 2008/11/20 23:02

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Most things are simple and easy! Some older themes can stay as they are, but if they get updated, why not take a look at compliance?
Module and theme developers should always strive to compliance.

Can somebody pinpoint me to some guidelines that address it from XOOPS perspective, if it exists, and if doesn't, could somebody help with creating such a Guide?

Quote:
And the there is always the user, who can spoil it! This page is no exception. The custom block "Powered by" added his share of faults.
Eg. by not providing an alt tag or closing tags.

Thanks! I'll look into it. If you or anybody else see something that could be improved/fixed here, please let me know. I'm not an expert in this, but I'll follow directions

Quote:
BTW Shouldn't there be a link to the GPL in this block?

We have a link to our License in the top-left menu (under XOOPS). But I'll add an icon/link to GPL there.

Again, thanks to all of you for the feedback you guys are providing us. It shows that you care enough about XOOPS to take the time and write about it, and we appreciate it!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

ianez
  • 2008/11/21 10:29

• ianez

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/1/26

@ghia
I think here they've simply copied the code from the main menu into some custom block.. generating the error...

anyway the id repetition comes with the cloning of main menu and user menu blocks.. for preventing this error the use of a class is the better as suggested..

@vamptrix
how can you say that ask for standard code means 'force' theme devolpers? html standards are used from ten years almost, if a theme writer dont' know how to use theme efficently it's a problem of the developer not of people asking for it.
I'm not a real developer and if I build some html/xhtml it'n not a big effort to put it in standards, considering also that many editors now give easy automatization on code compliance.. it's just a question of starting and setting your work on general xhtml+css rules, and the validator won't take more than one hour to be satisfied.

Ian

ghia
  • 2008/11/21 11:55

• ghia

Quote:
how can you say that ask for standard code means 'force' theme developers?
Real art is unbounded!

ghia
  • 2008/11/21 18:26

• ghia

Quote:
If you or anybody else see something that could be improved/fixed here, please let me know.
In the powered by block: all br and img tags need to end on space />.
Same goes for the developer at hire block and also the alt attribute there.

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/21 19:14

• Anonymous

• Since:

I think we can create new function ( as xoopsCodeDecode ) to replace invalid tags to XHTML/CSS valid tags.

for example: replace any " >" with " />" in case img tag and replace any "<br>" with <br />" inside the content and theme.

Shiva
  • 2008/11/25 16:44

• Shiva

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/7/9 1

Is this a good place to put forward suggestions to future developments of XOOPS regarding the W3C compliance and Web accessibility?

If so here is my first one:

1. To add Label tags to all form elements
e.g. /class/xoopsform/formtextarea.php:

<style>.noshow {position: absolute; left: -9000px}</style>
return "<textarea name='".$this->getName()."' id='".$this->getName()."' rows='".$this->getRows()."' cols='".$this->getCols()."'".$this->getExtra().">".$this->getValue()."</textarea>"."<label for='".$this->getName()."' class='noshow'>".$this->getCaption()."</label>";

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits